Mechanic Says I Need a New Transmission after 2-3 Shift Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mechanic Says I Need a New Transmission after 2-3 Shift Issues

DiGiornoRisingCrust

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
My transmission has struggled going into 3rd lately, it seems like it’ll try and shift but can’t find third. It’ll flare up a few hundred RPMs then land back in second. If I lift my foot off the accelerator it’ll shift into third, but often with a jolt. It even shifted into first while trying to shift into 3rd once. It’s thrown out a wrench light but I never tried to read the code.

Car is an 07 Ex with 154k, original transmission and fluid has never been replaced as far as I know.

mechanic said I’m looking at 3k to rebuild, 4k to replace but those numbers seem high to me. I haven’t had a chance to talk to him yet, but I’ve heard selenoid and TPS can cause shifting issues, and shouldn’t be that expensive. Anyone have any advice?

obviously if he dropped the pan and found metal it’s toast, but he didn’t give my any info, so I’ll call him back and ask exactly what’s wrong. If it does come to an expensive repair my Ex is likely gone which I don’t want to happen.

Edit: forgot to mention but my transmission has had issues shifting into drive, (hesitates) but disconnecting the battery has always fixed it for a few months. I tried disconnecting the battery, but it didn’t fix the problem, although it did make the shifts a little smoother.

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like its going to have to be rebuilt, pull the pan down to inspect for debris before pulling the transmission out. 3000 seems high, You should be able to find 2500 to 2800 to rebuilt it especially if it's a 2wd.

If you like your truck you should fix it, it's worth nothing broken, might as well just give it away.

I ask our customers if they would buy their truck with a rebuilt transmission with a warranty for "3000"? its better than a car payment and you should ask the shop if their warranty is transferable if you decide to sell it, just might get your money back.

Find out what the code numbers are.

I gave him a call, and he said there weren’t any codes. Is that believable? The wrench light came on, and I left it on (didn’t press reset) but I know it will go away after turning the car on and off again, so there’s a possibility it didn’t appear for the mechanic. The check engine light never came on.

I also asked if it could be anything computer related, but he said even if it was it would’ve broken the clutch pack by driving it for a week with the bad 2-3 shift. I didn’t really have a choice but now I’ve got time and am in no rush.

My transmission has struggled going into 3rd lately, it seems like it’ll try and shift but can’t find third. It’ll flare up a few hundred RPMs then land back in second. If I lift my foot off the accelerator it’ll shift into third, but often with a jolt. It even shifted into first while trying to shift into 3rd once. It’s thrown out a wrench light but I never tried to read the code.

Car is an 07 Ex with 154k, original transmission and fluid has never been replaced as far as I know.

mechanic said I’m looking at 3k to rebuild, 4k to replace but those numbers seem high to me. I haven’t had a chance to talk to him yet, but I’ve heard selenoid and TPS can cause shifting issues, and shouldn’t be that expensive. Anyone have any advice?

obviously if he dropped the pan and found metal it’s toast, but he didn’t give my any info, so I’ll call him back and ask exactly what’s wrong. If it does come to an expensive repair my Ex is likely gone which I don’t want to happen.

Edit: forgot to mention but my transmission has had issues shifting into drive, (hesitates) but disconnecting the battery has always fixed it for a few months. I tried disconnecting the battery, but it didn’t fix the problem, although it did make the shifts a little smoother.

thanks!
Change the coil packs on the passenger side.
Use factory ford coils.
There is a video on YouTube
Happend to me, the wrench lights and shift all weird.
I bet you have the 4.6 engine?
The cheep coils break down and put electrical noise into the wiring harness, that goes to the ecm

I bet you have the 4.6 engine?

I’ve got the 4.0L

just a general update, I got a quote from a highly reviewed Ford dealer nearby for a new reman, 4.5k. Definitely more expensive that I thought, I’ve heard anywhere from 3.3-4 on this site. Might ask around a little more.

My 2006 V6 mustang lost the original trans at 100k miles. It’s coming up on 200k and might need it’s third trans soon.
I never got any codes either. guy I talked to at Ford said those transmissions had lots of problems in the explorers. I had a local shop put in a reman for around $2000 but that was a bunch of years ago

thanks!
Hello. The fact that you disconnect battery and problem goes away says "electronics' to me. Years ago i owned a bmw that had a GM transmission. Everyone told me i needed either new or rebuilt to the tune of $2700. After reading through many forums, i decided to change fluid and solenoids. It was hard to find a trans shop that would do it. My local mechanic agreed, but no guarantee. Complete set of solenoids was $125, fluid?, and he charged me 75 bucks. Best $$ i spent.
If you're problem exists after pulling battery and clearing code, i suspect mechanical.
I currently drive an '06 Mount V8 with 208k miles that has the 2/3 bump. Been driving it that way for 20-30k miles. I did a partial fluid change and I'm afraid to change the fluid, filter, valve body seal kit, and solenoid for fear that I'll lose it. ( read too many horror stories )
i watched the Coil Video on YouTube, so not sure if my problem is coil or solenoids. I'm willing to bet its not mechanical.

While driving on the highway, my 2010 2WD Explorer would not shift to 5th gear. (Original transmission with 180K miles) It had been happening sporadically for a few months going from 2nd to 3rd gear but would reset itself if I stopped and restarted the engine (no codes or CEL). Took it to the dealer to determine the issue, was informed that the transmission was slipping, and received a $5K quote to replace the transmission. Instead, I took the Explorer to a transmission shop that specialized in installing remanufactured transmissions ($3K). The mechanic could not replicate the transmission issue even after driving the Explorer home every day for a week, which included driving on highways. Did not get charged by the mechanic and told to come back if the problem returned. 5 months later - the transmission has been shifting as expected. Only explanation that could be considered was that the PCM was replaced a few months before the transmission issues started and just needed time to learn. The PCM was replaced because it was causing codes to appear (CEL on, 12 codes one day, changed to 6 codes the next, then a different set of codes later on.) There were a few electronic Gremlins happening after the PCM was replaced, but they seem to have disappeared as well. Since there have been no mechanical repairs and only the PCM has been changed, my issue seemed to be all electronic and related to the PCM.

I’ve got the 4.0L

just a general update, I got a quote from a highly reviewed Ford dealer nearby for a new reman, 4.5k. Definitely more expensive that I thought, I’ve heard anywhere from 3.3-4 on this site. Might ask around a little more.

My 2006 V6 mustang lost the original trans at 100k miles. It’s coming up on 200k and might need it’s third trans soon.
I never got any codes either. guy I talked to at Ford said those transmissions had lots of problems in the explorers. I had a local shop put in a reman for around $2000 but that was a bunch of years ago

The V6 transmissions aren't known to hold up nearly as well as the V8 trans are.

As stated earlier, the 4.6 Explorers will make you think the trans is about to fall apart when the coils go bad. This is due to the proximity of the coils to the transmission bus. The coils bleed off RF (radio frequency) that interferes with the trans signal. Mine was this way when I bought it. About a month ago the replacement (cheap ****) coils went bad and it started this again. Ponied up the Benjamins and got motorcraft coils. Runs like a top and as a plus, the missing power has returned as well.

As an aside, I got about a year and 65K out of those cheap **** coils. I could've found better uses for 120 bucks LOL.

Live and learn, fellas.

thanks!
My advice is to not to throw money at this vehicle for a transmission replacement. The main reason is the V6 in it is prone to needing the timing chains and guides replaced somewhere between 100k-200k miles. The more infrequent the oil changes the closer to 100k miles they will fail. To do this repair requires removal of the engine and if this is done many people decide to just install a remanufactured engine. This repair runs at least $4k and add to this a $3k-$4k transmission repair and you have far more money into these two repairs than the vehicle is worth. I can't count the number of times I have seen people post here about repairing the transmission or the engine and then have to face a failure of the other component. Many end up not having the money to fix both and are stuck with a vehicle that is useless to them. Then add up the multitude of typical repairs it will need going forward like wheel bearings, radiator, suspension etc.

You are far better off, IMO, taking the repair money and buying a lower mileage 4th gen V8. These have a much more robust drive train that Ford also used in the F150. Buy a 4th gen V8 in good running condition with 100k, or less, miles, do a full fluids replacement then 5k oil changes and 40k transmission pan drops thereafter. You will likely drive it for way over 200k miles if you don't live where road salt eats up vehicles like Godzilla. Also, if you do live in an area where roads are heavily salted then I would never dump serious money into repairing a vehicle with 157k miles on it unless it was mostly rust free. Especially underneath the body.

Back