Mechanix's going solid. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mechanix's going solid.

I thought it would be a good time to start this thread. I have decided to go SAS in the Explorer. I bought a 79 Ford F-150 3 days ago for the donor vehicle. Up front I will be running a Dana HP44 with 5.13's and some kind of a locker. I have yet to decide if I want a locker or a spool, I am leaning towards the locker. As for the rear I am going with a 9" Ford from the same truck. I will be running 5.14 gears and spool for ease of maintance and to save some cash. I will be staying full width. My plan is to have this all done in 3 months. I will be posting pics as I go. I welcome all ideas, comments and suggestions.

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where can I get the lower coil mount, retainer and the upper retainer? I saw them as a kit on the Wild Horses website, but they are 90 dollars. Maybe this is a good price. They also have them in stainless for the "bling" factor. Thoughs, comments?

I got my diy bead locks today. Waiting for the rims, c bushings,gears, and some other misc to get here. They seem to be taking there sweet ass time.

Eric

Ihave the lower mounts that I can sell you. They have been cleaned up and painted even. Let me know!
50.00 shipped and they are yours.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ihave the lower mounts that I can sell you. They have been cleaned up and painted even. Let me know!
50.00 shipped and they are yours.

I need the lower mounts,lower spring holders, and upper spring containers.

I ordered them from Wild Horses today.

Today I cleaned the axle housing up. Alot of elbow grease went into getting it cleaned up. Also being from Michigan all the parts I removed from the axle were rusty as hell, at a time like this I wish I had a sand blaster, but I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost.

The c bushings came today along with the f250 shock towers.

Hopefully this weekend I can get some more done on it.

Buy all of Brian's stuff. The upper retainer is just a bent piece of flat stock withe a nut welded on the back. I think i have some. If i do you can have them for shipping. SOrry about the bad typing ive got elec. tape over fingertip from cutting it off todaay.

What kind of track bar are you all running? Also what is the length? I was looking at eBay for one, or I might just make one myself. If I do make one what are the thoughts of putting a TRE on one end like Dodge did in the pick ups?

Does the Dana 44 found in the rear and front Jeeps use the same lockers as Ford? Aussie, Lock Rite ect?

Eric

What kind of track bar are you all running? Also what is the length? I was looking at eBay for one, or I might just make one myself. If I do make one what are the thoughts of putting a TRE on one end like Dodge did in the pick ups?

Does the Dana 44 found in the rear and front Jeeps use the same lockers as Ford? Aussie, Lock Rite ect?

Eric

You'll need a EB track bar, a full width track bar would be too long. I would just buy a EB track bar with bushings on either end.

As for your D44 question, yes, they all use the same locker.

You'll need a EB track bar, a full width track bar would be too long. I would just buy a EB track bar with bushings on either end.

As for your D44 question, yes, they all use the same locker.

I also have a brand new EB trac bar with brand new bushings (never used, or mounted) that I will sell for 75.00 shipped.

Cancel your order on the lowers, and I will do the trac bar and the set of lower mounts for 100.00 shipped. Super deal.

soooo where are the pics!?

SUBSCRIBED... sounds like one helluva build...

Well I have had a few snags in the build, my father passed away soon after I started the build. He was and still is a HUGE part of my life. That took some time to deal with. Money has been tight do to the automotive industry being so slow. I plan to get some pics posted soon.

Eric

Eric, if you need any help let me know. I'm sure me and my cousin can stop by. I wouldn't mind just hangin out again either. I won't ever forget my lift install.

Well. Finally I have been working on the SAS again. My work has been affected my the high gas prices and I haven't had much time or money to work on the truck. I see my original 3 month time frame has come and gone.

So I purchased a open carrier and an Aussie Locker for the Dana 44 axle. I went to install the roll pin for the cross pin but the hole in the carrier is too small for the pin I have. I have tried a 1/4 and a 7/32 roll pin, but neither of them seem to be it, a 1/4 is too big and 7/32 just falls in the hole. What size of a roll pin should I get? I have even tried metric and that doest seem to work.

make sure you try it from the right side. One side the stock pin wont go in on, I believe thats the ring gear side.

Where did you get the pin from?

Now that I think of it I don't think the ring gear side has a hole. Maybe this carrier was made to be tapped and had a bolt installed????

I got the pins from the local auto parts store. They measured within .002 of the spec. So I cam sure they are 1/4 and 7/32. I looked up the roll pin size on the web and was thinking if I can't find the right pin I could drill the carrier out.

So I figured out my situation with the cross shaft and the roll pin. I had two different shafts and they both had different holes in them. Neither of the sizes would work with the hole that was in the carrier. I decided to use a pin with the threads on the end. I got the transmission cross member made up I will post a pic of that soon. Going to go hunting for some DOM so I can make the radius arms this week.
P1010471.jpg

I am kind of embarrassed to report the truck is still not done. It is sitting on 4 wheels though. Just need a few more things for it. I will post up some pictures of when the snow clears a bit.

Eric

dont worry bro perfection takes time

don't worry bro perfection takes time

Lol ya. shopping for shocks now, looking at the Bilstein 5100's. They look like a good shock.

I am kind of embarrassed to report the truck is still not done. It is sitting on 4 wheels though. Just need a few more things for it. I will post up some pictures of when the snow clears a bit.

Eric
bla, its all good, that's what you bought the F-150 for right?

Back