• Register Today It's free!

Mechatron

Mechatron

Reaction score
City, State
Florence Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Eddie Bauer
All right!! I'm about to push my exploder off a proverbial cliff!!!!! It won't run in the rain! I've replaced the plugs, the wires, cleaned the maf sensor, IAC sensor. New TPS sensor. The guy at Autozone said that the coils on these trucks were notorious for this problem. What do you guys think? Coil pack is only 70 bucks. Should I just replace it? Anyone else have this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it die while it's running, or is it a no start situation when raining? If it's a no start, do you hear the fuel pump prime? If not, consider replacing the FP relay.

try this, when it is not raining and during the night. start the truck, prop the hood and try spritzing some water from a spray bottle near the coil, if you have a shower of sparks, the coil is bad, if it still runs your problem probabyly lies elsewhere.

try this, when it is not raining and during the night. start the truck, prop the hood and try spritzing some water from a spray bottle near the coil, if you have a shower of sparks, the coil is bad, if it still runs your problem probabyly lies elsewhere.

i second

I'll try the water mister at night. FP was just replaced about three weeks ago. It runs like raped ape when it's dry! That's the part that's killing me!
Thanks for the input. I'll let you know the outcome.

You might also have some pretty corroded electrical connections as well. check to make sure every connection is nice and tight as well. Sometimes a bad connection will only get worse in a wet environment.

Ok, when out last night and misted everything with water. No sparks were visible. What else could it be? A fuel/air mixture problem? I still might replace the coil pack. I don't know what else to do!

Squirt some ether into the intake and see if it fires up. If it does, then your problem is fuel related. If it doesn't then problem is spark related.

I'll give the ether a try. It starts acting up during the rain. It'll gradually get worse until it will eventually dies. Then it won't restart. It'll take awhile after the rain to get her to start again. I did notice my mpg has gone down. I would think that a new fuel pump, filter, plugs, wires, tps would increase my mpg! Maybe the coil is the culprit. AARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

Back