Meet my new friend / problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Meet my new friend / problem

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
rookieshooter said:
This may not be your basic lap dog.

My GF said this when we were at the SPCA. That's ok, we have a cat for that.

I'm not in a huge hurry to get her inside the house, although we would let her sleep in the house if that is what she wants. The plan would be to have her sleep in the crate, but that looks to be a long way off at this point.

I may try the hot dog on a string thing later, but she isn't very food oriented. This morning I was getting her to come to me, then giving her a piece of hot dog, then moving to another place, calling her and giving her another piece of hot dog when she comes to me. On the third piece of hot dog, she dropped it in a hole, dug a little bit to bury it, and then covered it up. So I stopped for the moment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

spindlecone

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
try the all beef hotdogs like nathans:)
Good luck

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
A cute pup. Can you just leave the door open when you're home? Eventually she should wander in to see what's up. So, you basicaly got her home, and haven't been able to get near her since? Weird! But I'm sure she'll come around. Give her some yummy stuff (dog food is just food). She'll start eating more when she gets acclimated to the new surroundings. Any dog with a change of surroundings will do that. Hopefully she also can't get over (or under) the fence, but is she at least microchiped?

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
rizzjc said:
Hopefully she also can't get over (or under) the fence, but is she at least microchiped?

The fence is pretty secure because I had to block off all of the easiest ways out to keep our cat from escaping. I put a lock on the gate so that it doesn't get opened accidentally. Also, she hasn't shown a desire to get out yet. She is microchipped.

spindlecone

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
dogfriend said:
The fence is pretty secure because I had to block off all of the easiest ways out to keep our cat from escaping. I put a lock on the gate so that it doesn't get opened accidentally. Also, she hasn't shown a desire to get out yet. She is microchipped.
Your cat must be de-clawed, is no fence that will keep a cat in otherwise.
Good luck with the dawg

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
Yes, the cat is declawed; she was declawed by the previous owners. She is a rescue project also. The cat can still get out over the fence but she doesn't do it much after I closed off the easiest holes under the fence.

BTW, don't declaw your cat. It is cruel and can turn the cat into a real headcase because they lose feeling in their paws and they know they can't defend themselves.

spindlecone

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
dogfriend said:
Yes, the cat is declawed; she was declawed by the previous owners. She is a rescue project also. The cat can still get out over the fence but she doesn't do it much after I closed off the easiest holes under the fence.

BTW, don't declaw your cat. It is cruel and can turn the cat into a real headcase because they lose feeling in their paws and they know they can't defend themselves.
Glad to see you do rescues, thats where it is at, the best dawgs IMO are halfbreeds, purebreds are so screwed by inbreeding they have not a clue as to shit or go blind.
Have had alot of so called purebreds, have all been a pain in the ass.
Bout 15 yrs ago we were in a safeway parking lot, bunch of mexicans drove by and thru this tiny Chihuahua pup out the window of there car, and said hola man is your dawg now, mini was one of the best dawgs we ever owned, she had a great life in our home for 13 more yrs.
Your 100% right on about de-clawing cats, very cruel thing to do, we have two cats, we never feed them, they never come in the house, they never come close to us, have become ferral cats, they both live off the land and are both about 15 lbs each, big fat butterballs, have close to an acre full of birds and critters.
Sorry for the rant, pouns dawgs are the best dawgs, and they need homes

97BlackX5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Scipio, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 X XLT AWD
she was probably an outdoor dog and was scolded when she wanted to get in her previous house.... I would have started out with the dog inside to get her accustomed to you. we rescued a husky/lab mix that was underfed and beat pretty good... poor man was only about 35 pounds and 2 years old... now hes about 75 healthy and likes to keep my bed warm all day long. then a few years later we got a puppy from the humance society. listed as a lab cross but father unknown.... Shelter pets are the only way to go. Why pay hundreds for someone to get a purebred dog when a mutt will live longer and have less health problems. For 50 bucks you get a dog thats neutered/spayed all shots and most of the time past potty training....When we first got the husky/lab from the pound he was so grateful that we rescued him that he never left us alone. I think he got showers everyday for two weeks straight from forcing his way into the shower because the "separation" was making him anxious....

spindlecone

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
Sometimes I think dawgs are far better mammals then humans are JMHO

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
A little bit of progress - I moved the crate and pad closer to the house today and my GF said Pepe was sleeping in the crate when she got home. I also think she was checking out the doghouse too. She was laying down inside the crate last time I looked.

I talked to the animal behavior person at the SPCA. She suggested clicker training since the dog doesn't seem to be that interested in food. I have been trying it out this evening. It startled her the first time, but she is getting used to that also. She is getting closer to coming inside the house, but it is still a scary thing - she gets two paws inside the open door and then starts to whine.

I'm getting a little closer on the collar, but both me and my GF tried to lasso her and she's just too quick. The animal behavior lady gave me a collar that works sort of like a choke collar except it is made with nylon so that it can't damage the dogs throat. She suggested using that for walks because the dog won't be able to slip out.

Attachments

• pepecrate.jpg
    pepecrate.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 156

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
Success! We finally ambushed her and I grabbed her while my GF got the lasso over her head. Then we put the id collar and the non-slip collar on her.

We burned a fair amount of goodwill with that traumatic experience, but at least she has id now, and I can make an appointment to take her to the vet.

I have been trying to make it up to her by giving her some cheese for treats, but she isn't too happy with us for the moment. She hasn't set foot in her crate since the collar instl.

Spas

Explorer addict
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North East, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
It's a pity you can't rush these things and get results faster... but I agree with the other replies- it takes time and patience. I have two mutts and everyone on the East Coast has heard me b!tching about how badly behaved they are since my mom passed away. She never house trained them right and spoiled the living hell out of them on top of that. I don't hate them because I know it's my fault for not being able to spend time with them and teach them the proper way to be, but DAMN do they get on my last nerve :( I envy your patience, man. Pepe's an adorable dog, I really hope she comes around sooner rather than later for you. Look at the bright side, she obviously likes to be outdoors, so once she's learned to trust you you can take her everywhere just like you did with Penny.

As for the declawed cat thing.. I think it's wrong to declaw outdoor cats, but if you feline is solely indoors it's a pretty good idea. Gizmo was declawed when she was 8 months old and she's still a healthy (albeit slightly neurotic) house cat who pretends to sharpen her claws on my couch and still honestly thinks she can catch string without those sharp little needles, lol. It's pretty funny to watch her smack my brother's Husky across the muzzle too.

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
My anxiety level has gone down a lot since we got the collar on her. I made an appt with the vet to get her checked out tomorrow afternoon, now that I can hopefully control her.

I figure that I have some time to be patient; she's about 1 yr old now, so I will have her for about 13 or 14 more years. :)

Re: Declawing an indoor cat - I think I still have to disagree - our cat looks like the perfect indoor cat, but she was miserable trapped inside all of the time. We know this because we attempted to keep her inside only when we first got her - she marked every carpet and rug in the house. That behavior went away completely when she had the choice to be outdoors or indoors. In fact, we have noticed some subtle clues that she is getting a little stressed out because she hasn't been able to go out since Sunday (we removed the dog door temporarily to keep the dog and cat separated)

She loves to hunt mice, even without front claws she has caught at least half a dozen. But she is really timid with people. It took a couple of years for her to completely trust us, and she always disappears whenever company comes over. She is also weird about what surfaces she will walk on - I think thats because she doesn't have normal feeling in her front paws. If they declawed humans, it would be the same as removing the part of your fingers past the second knuckle.

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
Dr. Jekyll / Ms. Hyde

Albino 94LTD said:
Remember, you are the alpha dog of your pack.

Things are starting to become clearer now - this dog is trying to be dominant when she is outside in the backyard, but becomes submissive when she is in the car or in the vets office. Very weird.

I have her inside right now, her leash is attached to my belt loop and she is laying quietly on the rug in front of me. We are going to hang out together today.

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
Ok, this was two days ago. Note the piece of cheese on the floor to lure the dog. She wouldn't come in to get it.

Attachments

• standoff.jpg
    standoff.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 135

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
Here she is after going everywhere with me today. I was going to try to get her to sleep in the crate, but she has a better solution. ;)

Attachments

• comfy.jpg
    comfy.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 130

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Now it looks like you are getting somewhere. :) I agree with the declawing of cats. We have 1 cat that is declawed and she is a goofball. She was an indoor cat before wh got her, and had a problem digesting what the previous owner fed her. She would throw up so they fed her 7 or 9 peices of food a few times a day, if they remembered :rolleyes: She has a big frame and probably wieghed 6-7 pounds. She probably wieghs at least 13 now. After a while we figured she could go out with like all the other cats. For a week or 2 she wouldn't go more than a few inches from the foundation. She still doesn't go far, and is the only one that won't cross the street.

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
You'll get there, just takes time.

By the way, I'm happy you've found a new pup. I was sorry to hear about your loss, I know how much your dog meant to you.

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
Stephen said:
You'll get there, just takes time.

By the way, I'm happy you've found a new pup. I was sorry to hear about your loss, I know how much your dog meant to you.

Thanks. I still miss my old friend. I think that I always will.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blee1099

Evil Asian
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 4Runner, 22 Silverado
dogfriend said:
Here she is after going everywhere with me today. I was going to try to get her to sleep in the crate, but she has a better solution. ;)

Atleast you got the dog to go inside. Now we just need to teach it to destroy that evil Mac notebook :D