Melted headlight switch wiring harness... why? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Melted headlight switch wiring harness... why?

I am diar need of the wire color diagram that goes into the back of the switch you can sorta see the wire colors on the ' LightSwitch Connector ' I have a 1998 AWD Ford Explorer & the whole switch melted the back connector went to replace it & the aftermarket switch connector is all black & white wires not color coded I have searched everywhere to come across this section.. So if anyone can get me some good pictures of the back of the LightSwitch Connector id be for ever greatfull.. thank you so much.. I think it's a total of 8 wires...

What Bob Flood said +1.

Another thing to check is the earth wire from the headlights.

Seeing as though I always use higher wattage than OEM(130/90), my headlights always have a relay wired in. The stock wiring triggers the relay which gets its power from a 6mm wire that I run like a bus bar.
I replace the stock power plug with several large, high capacity spade lugs.

Except for my Ltd which has 55watt HID which won't overload the stock wiring and the kit came with its own harness.

Headlamp switch and harness

In 2yrs,i have put in 5 switches and fixin to be 3rd harness. About every 6mths. Can not figure it out,put a tester on harness and shows nothing. Always with the headlight wires. Dont not understand what keeps causing it:mad:

Back