Melting Spark Plug Wires

KINNEY0201

Reaction score
City, State
PENSACOLA,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' XLT V8
1997 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 V8

I had to replace my spark plug wires about 3 months ago. Ever since then I've had a problem with them melting in various spots from touching hot engine. It was difficult to get the wires not to touch due to the tight space this engine compartment gives you to work with. After the first wire started melting I put on wire conduit (plastic kind from auto parts store). Thought that might help but now it has started burning through that also. No matter what I do it always seems to keep melting. Any tips? Do they make a good heat resistant tape, wrap, or conduit that is good for this problem with spark plug wires. Maybe metallic? If so where can I find it. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Local speed shop (Mustang shop is good), get spark plug booties and you can buy the heat stuff in tubes and cut to length.

Here is my 5.0L treatment, stainless steel protectors around the plug itself, spark plug booties ($6 ea) and stock wires. You can get wire seperators to help too...No problems even with these crazy :confused: TM headers:

2893psdetail.jpg

If you have the correct length and angle wires, and you run them thru the looms correctly, I don't think you should have any problems.

first off if they are run correctly this doesn't occur , second the ford orgianl wire came in a specif heat protector, sort of like what the gentleman with the picture has but for the length of the wire

Had the same problem on my 97 5.0. Ended up using the booties and Taylor wires which had excellent heat resistence. Then, when the T-master headers came, burned the Taylors and purchased Nology. No problems with Nology and booties and careful wire placement.

I spent a long time routing my wires

The factory wires had a plastic wire loom over them, I found this useless against hot headers, the factory wires also have some sections of aluminum flex tubing, that stuff was usefull but there is not enough length to it.

A melted spark plug wire can really ruin your day, a little preperation can save alot of headaches.
Just routing the wires carefull will do alot.

Thanks for the info. Purchased another set of wires and are waiting for the booties to come in that I ordered. I will post after I get it all put back in.

Back