Merc Mtneer Auto Temp Control Breakdown | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Merc Mtneer Auto Temp Control Breakdown

RojoBlanco

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96, 94 Ex, 01 Mtn
As I arrived at my destination yesterday a slight smell of what I believe was electrical in nature came from the dash area. It was late, so I parked and made a quick check to make sure a major electrical meltdown was not eminent. Today I started the Merc and had no front A/C blower speeds. The ATC is functioning flawlessly, except for the blower speeds: The compressor kicks on, the function buttons all work properly, the cold/hot temperature buttons work properly. The rear seat blower fan works properly, also. I believe I've checked all the necessary fuses, relays, etc. and not found anything amiss. I have normal 12 v power at the blower motor connector, but don't understand how the resistor and speed switch all integrate with the computer controls. I have isolated the blower motor and jumpered it to the battery and know the motor is perfectly good.

I don't know how to proceed. I am thinking it is the rotary speed dial switch but I don't understand how the computer control relates to it since the driver can override the computer or let the computer have its way.

This system has a fancy circuit board blower resistor and I don't know if it can be tested. Anyone experienced with this problem, and can you offer any advice. Thanks. David B.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like your "fancy blower resistor" (AKA the blower control module) is burnt out. This is not uncommon. Some here have managed to take it apart, replace components and/or re-solder the circuit board, but I'd just replace it and make sure the electrical connector is clean. IDK of a way to test the resistor, other than the fact that you've already tested the motor and say it's fine.

Well, in the link there is testing advice, it could still be the head unit in the dash but it's less likely. A multimeter will tell you if the base voltage to the firewall transistor pack is being sent by the head unit.

Back