Merc Mystique / Ford Contour tanny help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Merc Mystique / Ford Contour tanny help?

Nedwreck

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky, Y'all!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 xlt, '92 4x4
Hey guys,

Someone I know bought a '98(.5) Merc Mystique with the four banger and CD4E auto trans.

The thing slips in first ONLY, but first works great if you pull it down into "L".

These things have an electrically controlled trans and I suspect a valve body, or solenoid pack problem - or maybe even the TRS(transmission Range Sensor).

Anyone got an idea or experienced this?

The things works great in every other regard, fluid looks great, etc...

TIA!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fluid level looks good.

The filters on this type of unit aren't "serviceable", as there is no "pan" on the bottom, only a drain plug. Removal and disassembly of the tranny is required to get to the filter.

I frankly suspect a worn valve body valve piston/bore, and/or a solenoid issue. It would be fantastic to hear it from someone who's "been there done that".

It's my ex's car - hopefully I can get thru this fast and painless, with no relicks. :)

If I had the means, I'd love to check line pressure in various conditions and gears.

Yea, I think I read on another site about hooking them up. It appears to be a real booger.

You're right though (by suggestion), that I need hook something up with a long hose and drive it around the block or something. Establish good baselines and record the info across the gears, both in "D" and manually shifting, etc...

Gah. That means I gotta put up with the ex an extra day. haha

Those transmissions are junk, sounds like it has forward or direct clutch problem internal to transmission. We usually just put reman trans in because you rebuild them and then something else goes wrong in a week.

You might want to check your blood pressure after you finish testing the transmission pressure. :D

just thinking about it is...... well... nevermind.

It's my son's momma, so... yea I'll fix her cars - the boy rides in there sometimes. <snicker>

Those transmissions are junk, sounds like it has forward or direct clutch problem internal to transmission. We usually just put reman trans in because you rebuild them and then something else goes wrong in a week.

Yes, the more I read the worse they look. Who makes a tranny that ya gotta remove and split open to change a filter for crying out loud? sheesh.

I'm of the mind to troubleshoot though.. so we may do a fluid change I guess. If there's no shavings or junk, and we pass a pressure test, I'm calling it a Valve body/solenoid issue and going from there.

Back