Mercedes seats in an Explorer? Hell yes! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mercedes seats in an Explorer? Hell yes!

crashwave

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson NJ/Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Mercedes seats in an explorer? Most people wouldn't even think of putting non-Ford seats in. Well, I've been looking for leather seats for quite some time as a replacement (cloth is comfortable, but lets face it, it sucks), and I happened to come across these seats on an eBay auction. This project is really only phase 1 - next up is the rear seats. I expect in 3 weeks I'll have them done and in - that will be quite a custom job in itself.

The seats are from a 1995 Mercedes Benz C320 (almost positive, forget exact model name), and are fully power and adjustable.

This entire project ("phase 1") took about 2 weeks - not straight obviously but we'd work on the seats probably a good 4 days a week, putting in around 4-6 hours each day.

The seats were very tan when we first got them, and were in VERY good condition, however tan in a black and gray interior looks like garbage. It's also known as the "old man" leather because it seems to rear its face in all the stereotypical cars geared towards the 'ol folks.

Anyways, these seats went into my '99 Sport, which has only power in the drivers seat. Through some crazy wiring, and other tricks we've actually been able to make both seats power, and everything in the seat is power - even the headrest.

I did all the work with the major help of two close friends...but bottomline is we did everything ourselves - seat treatment, dying, custom tracks, wiring, etc.

Now, take a look at the amazing outcome:

I think it's safe to say that something like this has never been tried before, in an Explorer that is. Anyway as you can see, the outcome was terrific.

In case you were wondering yes I do have side seat moldings that hide the tracks/wires, just dont have them on yet. I'd be happy to answer anyones questions, and please, any comments are welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that is awesome.. can u basically get any car seat to work wtih the wiring you have in there now? i want some heated/cooled seats in mine.. thats awesome.. great job man

1) how much did this whole process cost? 2) what took so long to put them in-all the mods that had to take place before they actually fit or what? 3) by the way it looks really good :thumbsup:

wheres the write up? and that is one of THE coolest interior mods i think i have ever seen... very cool

That looks awesome! How in the hell are you going to do the back seats? Are you going to give up the fold down feature? Split backs?

Great job!

if he can get ml seats, they should fold down.. since its an suv as well (sorta)

My friend put 300ZX seats in his truck, with all the wiring, looks very similar to what you have there.

I like those merc seats in that Explorer. Nice job.

Hey sorry guys for my delay in responses, I'll answer all your questions in a couple hours, and thanks for all the compliments!

looks good... benz seats are rather comfortable too... a little stiff, but very ergonomic

Originally posted by jssong
that is awesome.. can u basically get any car seat to work wtih the wiring you have in there now? i want some heated/cooled seats in mine.. thats awesome.. great job man

Yeah basically as long as the seat fits in the dimensions, yeah you really could interswap them as much as you'd like. Nothing is really impossible as long as you can put in the time, care, and money into the process.

Originally posted by white96x
1) how much did this whole process cost? 2) what took so long to put them in-all the mods that had to take place before they actually fit or what? 3) by the way it looks really good :thumbsup:

1) For phase 1, the dying cost approximately $100. I did it all myself. If I took it to a custom car shop, I would've paid easily $500-1k for basically the same results. And it would've taken much longer too...I got to work on the seats on my own schedule and time.

2) Well when I recieved the seats they were completely tan. I didn't want tan so it was basically putting in time to get all the necessary leather dye, applying multiple coats, touchups, and then removing the brackets and tracks from my stock explorer seats and mounting them onto the Mercedes seats.

3) Thanks a bunch :cool:

Originally posted by liquidx9
wheres the write up? and that is one of THE coolest interior mods i think i have ever seen... very cool

Thanks..and it'll come soon when I open my Explorer site... (nothing there now).

Originally posted by zensius
That looks awesome! How in the hell are you going to do the back seats? Are you going to give up the fold down feature? Split backs?

Basically I am going to custom build a base for the seats. The bottom will have the ability to swing up (Like how the rear seats in the latest Jeep Grand Cherokees flip up) to allow access to where I will mount my subs and amp. Yep, that's right, I'm going to build the base with the dual function of security and stability for the seats but also as a housing for my two 10" subs and amp. The bottom seat needs to allow access so I can get to the subs and amp if necessary. The subs would be behind plexiglass and would be behind the legs (in the sitting down position) of the passenger sitting in the back right above their feet.

The leather interior from the same Mercedes splits in two parts, the bottom part that you actually sit on and the top part that you would rest your back on. It *just* fits into the Explorer to my surprise...it'd be very easy to modify the seats to fit but thankfully it won't be necessary.

The new rear seats won't be able to fold down like the stock Explorer seats, and quite honestly I don't care. I have an Explorer Sport, and lets face it, theres really nothing "sporty" about it stock, except the fact that it has 2 doors. If I wanted to haul things or carry big items, I would've got a XLT. Regardless, I dont really forfeit any room anyway, and I'd never have to transport something so big that it'd require me to fold down the seats anyway.

Originally posted by jimabena74
looks good... benz seats are rather comfortable too... a little stiff, but very ergonomic

Yeah they are somewhat stiff, but they're practically like bucket seats. VERY comfortable, the contours of the seat definitely wrap around your body and keep you in. I know that in some sports cars like my friends Trans Am, the interior isn't truly leather and you pretty much 'slide' around on sharp turns in his seats...hell even my friends Grand Cherokee...no fun...but it doesnt do that in my truck at all. Nice firm comfortable ride. The day I got them in I drove around for four hours just to completely test them out. No back pains at all. My back would eventually get stiff even with my old clothe interior. Not with these.

awesome man.. your in nj? where in nj? i would love to see your truck in person.

im in central jersey...ocean county to be specific. do you know where six flags great adventure is? im in the same town that's in.

i passed your town/area when i drove up to Rochester about two weeks ago already to check out RIT.

i go to six flags every year in the summer sometime.. i would love to check out ur ride man.. only wish i knew u were up in rochester..only an hour from buffalo.

Looks good :) I was actualy thinking about putting the seats from my wrecked supra into my X. Same idea. I would need to get creative with the wiring as Neither of the seats in my 91 are power. Sure I can make it work though.

Originally posted by TheRookie
Looks good :) I was actualy thinking about putting the seats from my wrecked supra into my X. Same idea. I would need to get creative with the wiring as Neither of the seats in my 91 are power. Sure I can make it work though.

It'd cost you, but your smartest bet is to probably go to a Ford dealer and have them wire it up and get power seat tracks, unless you really know what you're doing.

thats ridiculous

Originally posted by J Zee109
thats ridiculous

well, you're off to a great start! :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by J Zee109
thats ridiculous
whats so bad about Mercedes seats? Not only does it look sweet and is unique, explorer seats may be comfortable but can't compare to Mercedes.

I wouldn't mind doing that, but I'd probably just end up having Katzskin redo the interior in their custom leather.

Back