Mercon and Mercon V ATF | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Mercon and Mercon V ATF

dcdyd

Reaction score
City, State
Eden Prairie, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
I plan to change transfer case fluid tomorrow. It calls out for Mercon for 98 EB V8 5L for TS fluid. My question is can I use Mercon V instead of Mercon? If I can, then the further question is 'any benefit to use Mercon V instead of Mercon?' or Is Mercon V better than Mercon grade?

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

SoNic67

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
Mercon V is no question an improved fluid.
The issue was that at the beginning was NOT compatible with Mercon and Ford warned about mixing the two.
Latter, Ford changed the formulation of their Mercon V to be compatible with their Mercon and even issued a TSB to replace the Mecron with Mercon V in older transmissions. Ford doesn't even license Mercon anymore (from 2007).

Now... I don't know if that new formulation is the one used by others (Valvoline, Castrol, etc) and if their products are compatible with what you have in the transmission now. The new, compatible, Motorcraft has a red bottle.

http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/showdetl.cfm?DID=6&Product_ID=3578&CATID=21
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=526269

dcdyd

Reaction score
City, State
Eden Prairie, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
I am going to drain the fluid out from the transfer case which I don't know what was put in. Can I just put in any fluid labeled as Mercon V compatible? The owner's manual calls out Mercon for transfer case fluid.

SoNic67

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
Ah, didn't notice the bit about transfer case. That is easyer because you can drain it better than the transmission itself.

I don't see why it won't work same or better...

dcdyd

Reaction score
City, State
Eden Prairie, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
THanks for the help!