• Register Today It's free!

Mercon V vs LV??

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer xls
Hi guys,

I just took my Explorer to the Stealership for a transmission fluid flush. It took them about 3hrs to get the job done, the service writer came to me and asked who worked on it last because the drain plug was stripped??

I said you guys did, nobody else will touch that transmission.

They replaced the drain plug but I noticed on the invoice that they put Mercon LV in the transmission as opposed to Mercon V!?!

From what I have been looking into, this is not good.

Any of you guys familiar with the compatability?

Thanks,

Merlin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what dealership is this?
You CANNOT put LV in a 2002
I would take it back immediately I would NOT be happy
LV can destroy your trans
I would ask to see proof that they used Mercon V and hope the invoice is incorrect
Your 5r55 v6 trans or 4r70w v8 transmission in 2002 MUST USE MERCON V nothing else is compatible!!!!!!

I’d be super salty. They would be giving me a warranty period on the transmission as if it was rebuilt by them.
what dealership is this?
I would ask to see proof that they used Mercon V and hope the invoice is incorrect
Your 5r55 v6 trans or 4r70w v8 transmission in 2002 MUST USE MERCON V nothing else is compatible!!!!!!
The 4r70w came behind the 4.6? I thought it because part of the v6 family of transmissions in the 3rd gen (5r55w maybe?)

yes Im an a hole!!! it's a 5r55 behind the 4.6 in the gen III explorer I swear I will never remember that until I start to work on them
I do not want to work on gen III explorers!! LOL

It is the F150 that kept the 4r70w/4r75E behind the 4.6 until like 2014, which always throws me off

regardless mercon V remains in all Ford auto's until 2010 I believe

No worries. I’m sure all of your correct, in-depth info far out weighs the few tidbits of incorrect info. ;)

what dealership is this?

Larry H. Miller Ford.

The service writer tried to insist they had no record of my last service there, I told him I do. Good thing I keep a file on this vehicle, I had a new transmission installed by Ford when it had 108,000+. The vehicle now is 178,000+, the first flush was at 130,000 and I had them do another one at 150,000. She just went in for the third and this is the kind of service I get from a dealer? It took them 3+hrs, then the writer tried to say they did not have the proper tools to do the job?

I would like to "shake hands" with the tech that did the work on the vehicle.

Suppose it's time for me to start doing the tranny fluid myself, I just need to get the tools.

No real tools needed to do a flush on one of these. Pull a line off the trans cooler, and let the transmission pump it out. Graduate a 5 gallon bucket with quart lines. Whatever you pump out, replace with new. Or you can add while it’s pumping to do a more thorough flush, but then you’ll need to correct the level some.

Well I hope there is no damage done considering. I live on the other side of town so when I left the dealer I put about 40 miles on it before I noticed when I got home.

I tried to call them and of course they were closed.

I would think it’d be okay. They’d be towing it back.

Follow up,

I got in touch with the Stealership first thing this morning, the Service manager had said that he had spoken to their transmission guy and parts guy. They said that just as long as it had been 100% flushed and replaced with that fluid that it would be fine?? I told the guy that unless it was a official go ahead by Ford and that it is in writing I don't feel comfortable with that. He said that they are more than willing to flush it back out and put the Mercon V in it.

I am currently in here waiting for the service to be completed, at this point I cannot trust that they are trully honoring the service but at least I have the paper trail...

We will see.

what the hell is wrong with that dealership?
Are they telling you the Mercon LV is fine in there (despite everything we know about these transmissions)???????????????????????????

Naw, it’s fine as long as it’s not all the fluid.

Ridiculous. I’d get ahold of the regional manager and tell him after all of your loyal service, and hard earned dollars you won’t be purchasing another of their products.

Naw, it’s fine as long as it’s not all the fluid.

Ridiculous. I’d get ahold of the regional manager and tell him after all of your loyal service, and hard earned dollars you won’t be purchasing another of their products.

Right, I feel like my tranny is now contaminated. My buddy said basically the same thing, he said that Ford does not mess around when it comes down to their reputation.

It IS contaminated
LV does NOT belong in there and will hurt the health of your trans, FORD should know this

It IS contaminated
LV does NOT belong in there and will hurt the health of your trans, FORD should know this

:(,...

Well, at least I caught it. Now that I have been here 2hrs I would be interested in how they are resolving this. Plus when it boils down to the paper trail, I would also be interested in how Ford would handle this situation.:wtf:

they flush it and fill with mercon V this time I would be happy and leave it at that maybe they can extend the warranty? LOL

they flush it and fill with mercon V this time I would be happy and leave it at that maybe they can extend the warranty? LOL

Yes, and now I can press on and look into replacing my exhaust system. I was looking at Flowmaster Cat setup and Gibsons exhaust.:burnout:

... but find another dealership. That's a very rookie mistake.

Right, as far as the exhaust system I would install it myself. The only reason I bring the Explorer in for the transmission is because it was new and installed by Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back