Mercon V vs LV?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mercon V vs LV??

That's sad service, I hope you can get them to make it right.

I would also contact the regional level and make all the details clear to them. Then I'd ask for assistance in getting an extended warrantee for that transmission. Given the proof of service you have from that dealer for that trans, they should give you some kind of security agreement, to cover what may be a problem in the future.

I don't know the details of that LV fluid versus the V, but I know that you cannot simply "flush" out the old fluid and end up with 100% of the new. There will be a bunch left in the valve body at the least. Only under actual shifting conditions will all of the fluid move around.

That is a big mistake for a dealer to make. Hopefully the difference between V and LV ATF is not much for a short term like you have now(the short drive). Good luck,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's sad service, I hope you can get them to make it right.

I would also contact the regional level and make all the details clear to them. Then I'd ask for assistance in getting an extended warrantee for that transmission. Given the proof of service you have from that dealer for that trans, they should give you some kind of security agreement, to cover what may be a problem in the future.

I don't know the details of that LV fluid versus the V, but I know that you cannot simply "flush" out the old fluid and end up with 100% of the new. There will be a bunch left in the valve body at the least. Only under actual shifting conditions will all of the fluid move around.

That is a big mistake for a dealer to make. Hopefully the difference between V and LV ATF is not much for a short term like you have now(the short drive). Good luck,

Ya they really need to just swap in another new transmission after contaminating it...

:burnout:
Ya they really need to just swap in another new transmission after contaminating it...
Good luck. Ford wouldn’t do that if it were brand new.:snicker:

I would expect(want) two possible acceptable outcomes. One, rebuilding the trans now, or an extended warrantee that would be usable by the owner. They'll say bring it back if it fails in a year or short time, and they'll do something then.

Have the situation documented and notify management about the situation. Then if a year down the road it scraps out your covered.

Expecting them to rebuild it or replace it with no driveability issues is not going to happen. I'd think its probably just fine since it wasn't in there that long but would want piece of mind incase an issue does come up.

they are actually one of the better dealerships in the Denver area ......:dunno:

Hi guys,

I just took my Explorer to the Stealership for a transmission fluid flush. It took them about 3hrs to get the job done, the service writer came to me and asked who worked on it last because the drain plug was stripped??

I said you guys did, nobody else will touch that transmission.

They replaced the drain plug but I noticed on the invoice that they put Mercon LV in the transmission as opposed to Mercon V!?!

From what I have been looking into, this is not good.

Any of you guys familiar with the compatability?

Thanks,

Merlin
LV ONLY

correct me if I'm wrong, draining the trans nets @ 7 qts if you drop the pan, full capacity is 12.7 qts.
Talk to a FORD district rep. Connect with him & nobody will mess with you again. Get some kind of
assurance of longevity in writing from the rep because of the dlrshp screw up. Mention an atty might
help.......j

correct me if I'm wrong, draining the trans nets @ 7 qts if you drop the pan, full capacity is 12.7 qts.
Talk to a FORD district rep. Connect with him & nobody will mess with you again. Get some kind of
assurance of longevity in writing from the rep because of the dlrshp screw up. Mention an atty might
help.......j

Ya they're going to need to drain the torque converter to get it all out...

I would only do it with a flush.

I'd get most of it out by dropping the VB to install some quality Sonnax upgrades. I'm not sure the later Ford TC's have a drain plug, they all should though.

A full drain incl torque converter, then a fill and flush, then another full drain, then fill would be the best procedure.
Good luck getting Ford to do anything but the bare minimum. A flush is easy and cheap for them, which is why it’s all they’ll do.

If you want overkill, a new overhaul is the only thing that will remove ALL of the incorrect fluid.

I do not think the 5r transmissions had a converter drain

It dont

Back