Mercon V vs. Mercon for the transfer case - question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mercon V vs. Mercon for the transfer case - question

BigE

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Mercon V vs. Mercon for the transfer case – local shop that I am looking at to flush the transmission and drop the pan and replace the filter will also do the transfer case, but says that they will use Mercon V for both the transmission and transfer case – manual says Mercon in the transfer case and Mercon V in the transmission – from my research I am lead to believe that you can not interchange the two - shop owner says you can not use Mercon in place of Mercon V, but you can use Mercon V in place of Mercon – Don’t know why Ford had to make this process so confusing – does anyone know the right answer here? Is it OK to drain the transfer case and refill with Mercon V?

Also, is the purchase of transmission fluid from one of the major oil companies (e.g. Mobil, Exxon, Havoline, etc.) that sell it as Mercon V compatible OK? I notice that many are marketing their products as fully compatible for Mercon V, Mercon, and Dexron III, manufacturers transmission fluid requirements.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Note: The above posting is for a 2000 Explorer Sport 5 speed automatic transmission

I asked this very question a while back:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100074

I decided to drain the Mercon V that I had put into the transfer case by mistake and replace it with Mercon. I really don't know why Ford calls for Mercon V in the tranny and regular Mercon in the TC but I figure there must be a reason... so I went with what they called for.

Lee

I changed the TC fluid today with Castrol mercon v atf. The shifts are not the same. It slips into gear sometimes. I noticed this change immediately with the first test drive. Can anyone else describe ther experience and ill effects of using mercon v in the TC? Where the problems resolved with draining and replacing with plain mercon? Note, no problems of this sort prior to this fluid change.

thanks for all of the help im only 17 and im just getting into the whole off road thing....i mean i have taken my truck mudding( 87 dodge pickup) and i have learned quite a bit from that piece.

Mercon V came about at about the same time as computer controlled shifts. The desire to make "softer shifts" led to some component application strategies that led to transmission shudder due to the friction properties of the fluid at the clutch surface during application. Mercon V was designed to have friction properties to eliminate this problem. It was also semi synthetic, and quite a bit pricier.

Those friction properties are not really needed in a non modulated computer controlled transmission (or transfer case) but do not hurt anything... except your wallet. That is why V is backwards compatible to III, and also why III does not work in place of V (lacking those special properties).

Why would FORD put V in the tranny and III in the Transfer case? $$. Do the math.... several million vehicles, couple bucks each difference in fluid costs... bingo...big bucks.

I am surprised to hear someone has experienced a difference in the transfer case operation due to V... unless the old fluid was really gunky and what you are experiencing is just clean fluid.

Frankly, given that the TC takes SO little fluid, under 2 quarts, why not go whole hawg and go with a full synthetic?

[I know, stop calling me Frankly].

Hi Glacier991, re Transfer case, i drained the old oil and filled up with plain Mercon , but ran out, on reading that it is possible to use synthetic in the TC when I do the next Transmission change I will do the same Synthetic to the TC but in the mean time my question, would it hurt to add under 1/2 a liter of synthetic to top up the level now.

Using Valvoline Max Life DIII Mercon currently adding Castrol Transmax Z (fully Synthetic)
??

Technically Mercon does not exist any longer, it cannot be made by anyone. Only old stock is available for Mercon.

Mercon V is the new standard and requirement for anything calling for Mercon. You can add Mercon V or Mercon(if you have it) to what you have calling for Mercon/Mercon V.

Mercon fully remains available, it's just now called "Domestic Vehicle ATF" or "Dex/Merc" and names like that. Ford for whatever reason pulled the licensing to call it Mercon fluid.

And FWIW, Mercon V is NOT fully backward compatible, despite what some want you to believe. Older M5OD transmissions do not like V, they start shifting like crap if you fill it with V.

As for the t-case, I can't see V affecting the operation of a 1350 or 1354 case. I can't say yay or nay for the 4405 and others though, not familiar enough with them.

What about for a 92 4x4 5speed ex?
I believe I need T and TC fluid, but don't have a big enough wrench, so I need to go get one.

How much should I put in and also is there a filter or anything that I should change while there?

'08 is the 1st year Ford actually specifies Merc V fluid for the M5OD in Rangers. Some have said the transmission synchros were redesigned for it around '03, although I've seen people complain of shifting problems with it at least as late as '05.

'92 most certainly will need standard Mercon.

Hello, I have been a ford tech for 15 years, and we now use mercon-v in everything(power steering, transmissions that require mercon or mercon-v, transfercases that require mercon). We can not get mercon anymore for sometime already. thanks

I just used AMSOIL Synthetic Universal Transmission Fluid for my 98' Exp sport 's Transfer Case,it's said recommended for • Ford MERCON®,MERCON® V & SP,and Excellent for power steering units that use ATF.... so , nothing confused.

Mercon V vs. Mercon for the transfer case – local shop that I am looking at to flush the transmission and drop the pan and replace the filter will also do the transfer case, but says that they will use Mercon V for both the transmission and transfer case – manual says Mercon in the transfer case and Mercon V in the transmission – from my research I am lead to believe that you can not interchange the two - shop owner says you can not use Mercon in place of Mercon V, but you can use Mercon V in place of Mercon – Don’t know why Ford had to make this process so confusing – does anyone know the right answer here? Is it OK to drain the transfer case and refill with Mercon V?

Also, is the purchase of transmission fluid from one of the major oil companies (e.g. Mobil, Exxon, Havoline, etc.) that sell it as Mercon V compatible OK? I notice that many are marketing their products as fully compatible for Mercon V, Mercon, and Dexron III, manufacturers transmission fluid requirements.

transfer case fluid is only used to lubricate the gears in the transfer case (since there is no fluid pressure inside of the transfer case) it really shouldn't matter what kind of trans fluid you put in the case

transfer case fluid is only used to lubricate the gears in the transfer case (since there is no fluid pressure inside of the transfer case) it really shouldn't matter what kind of trans fluid you put in the case

There is a pump in the t-case. Sure nowhere near the pressure in an auto tranny but there is still some.

i dont know what is exactly in your explorer but my 96 is equipped with the borg warner 4405 transfer case and i can tell you first hand that there is definetly not a pump in the tranfer case... meaning no fluid pressure whatsoever

There absolutely is a pump in a borg warner 4405. I replaced the one in mine when I had to rebuild the case.

Here's a picture of it from glacier's rebuild thread:
DSCN7268.jpg

that may be called a pump but it does not cause pressure in the case, that "pump" is for lubrication purposes and only transfers fluid throughout the gears.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that may be called a pump but it does not cause pressure in the case, that "pump" is for lubrication purposes and only transfers fluid throughout the gears.

How is a device that sucks the fluid up from the bottom of the case and brings it up to the top where the gears are not called a pump?? :confused:

Back