Mercury 4.0 - Ford 4.0 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mercury 4.0 - Ford 4.0 swap

Fozzy

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Oklahoma..
Year, Model & Trim Level
:rolleyes: I am trying to help out a buddy who basically cooked a frozen engine in his 2000 Explorer. The first problem I'm having is that I thought from the "get-go" that this was a 4.0 SOHC, this is a 4.0 pushrod type engine and is not an overhead cam engine.. so far it seems to be rather confusing and I think a matter of just not using the correct terminology.
-ANYWAY-
I contacted a salvage yard and just to be able to have them reply, I had to send them the VIN#. They sent back that they did have a used engine out of a rolled Mercury Mountaineer with less that 80k on it. COOL! Went down and picked it up and took it to my other buddy who does autowork on the side (I do too, but not up to swapping entire engines).. He got everything stripped down and old stuff pulled out and now I need some help on a couple of things:

The cam sensors are different and the new engine has a 3 prong plug for the distributor drive (yeah I know its not a distributor) and the old engine has a two prong set up. Both of the caps for these drives fit perfectly on each other?!?!

The new plenum is slightly different with two fuel lines on the plenum to the old plenum's single fuel inlet. The old plenum has a plugged (not machined) casting where the new engine has an actually place to attach a line.

We are planning to roll the engine over to TDC on #1 and just pull the distributor drive and swap them.

Any other suggestions from the gang here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Swap the fuel rail and cam position sensor from the old motor. The new motor has the newer returnless fuel system and a different type of cps.

TO my knowledge, the cam sensors are totally different. the OHV is mechanically driven and is positioned in the back of the engine where as the SOHC is a solid state located on the passenger's side valve cover. I think the output signals are different.

Swap the fuel rail and cam position sensor from the old motor. The new motor has the newer returnless fuel system and a different type of cps.
Thanks for the speedy reply. We have done the fuel rail and are using the old cam sensor. I was hoping that we did not have to pull the distributor drive, but they are so different and this and all the other things are so much easier to get to when this thing is sitting on the engine stand..

The worse part of this is getting the engine to TDC on #1.

Make sure the sensor is aligned correctly.

Make sure the sensor is aligned correctly.

Even the old one? The older one is a simple bolt on affair. The new one looked like it could be moved/calibrated

Back to square one with this. It turns out that the Mercury Mountaineer engine that we bought from the salvage guy is no better than the one that we have lying in the floor. He took the VIN # to make sure it was the same (it wasn't), He assured me that it was a newer engine that would drop right in (it wouldn't) and that it was lower mileage running engine that came from a roll over ( none of that was true -cracked head, coolant in the engine).

The old engine has a cracked head, coolant (lots of it) in the engine. At least one is on the left and the other is on the right. We at least got two good heads out of the two engines.

We have found a rebuilder to just rebuild the old engine for a decent price and will probably be returning the bad/new engine by dropping on the salvage yards door step and setting it afire.

Anyway, I'm still trying to nail down the difference of what these engines are. The basic engine is exactly the same. all of the electronic sensing "froo froo" are different. I have to go out and get a crankshaft ANGLE sensor because the one from the old engine is screwed up. I tried to cross reference the crank angle sensors to mercury to find out the difference but even in the 2000 year model, the Mercury does not seem to even HAVE a crank angle sensor.

This is frustration, but still trying to learn a lot in the process of wanting to strangle salvage yard crooks. :salute:

Back