mercury mountaineer 1997 5.0L v8 engine swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mercury mountaineer 1997 5.0L v8 engine swap

jack123529

Reaction score
City, State
rio bravo tamaulipas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 mercury mountaineer
hey guys.

i have a mercury mountaineer 1997 AWD 5.0 L v8 engine and i want to know if its possible to do an engine swap, i was thinking on removing the v8 engine and replace it with a 6 cylinder engine from an explorer or ranger, is this even possible? :( i love my truck and i dont want to sell it but gas prices are killing me :( i was hoping to maybe use a 2007 ford ranger 4 cylinder engine :D would i need to replace the transmision also? im not even using it as a AWD anymore, it broke :p so i removed the front driveshafts so losing the AWD is not a problem.

thanks for any help, in return i can help you fix your laptops or desktop pc :D or get you any software you need.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well it is possible but you would not be gaining any thing by going to v6. In most cases the v8 got better fuel econ. Maybe you should be looking in to doing a conversion to 2wd and get rid of all the awd parts. Doing so would make your explorer lighter and free up some power since you would not be spinning the transfer case any more.

Yup, the stupid laws of physics are an issue. It takes a certain amount of energy to move a certain amount of weight, period.

All the motors see about the same gas mileage in an explorer. Your going to need a lighter vehicle.

But...yes, you could swap in a v6. You will loose reliability in both the motor and the transmission though. As Riddick stated, gasket mileage will pretty much be a wash. Lots of work for little gain. It might be fun to do if you want to learn though.

If you are going to do it, get your self a trashed explorer that you can use the guts out of. Motor, trans, PCM, pats stuff....

if no front axles, what are you using to hold your bearings together...??

I suppose a 4cylinder conversion would be possible using the ranger drivetrain, motor mounts, and such, but there would be some wiring involved. The V8 can get decent mileage, uncork it a bit, torque monster header, better catback, maybe a few bolt ons, with a good tune.

Back