Merry Christmas to me (and my ears) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Merry Christmas to me (and my ears)

Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Since Rausch creek in late September, my muffler has been split wide open down the seam. Tried to fill it with putty but that lasted about 2 days before it was cracked open again. As a result, for the past 2-3 months I've been dealing with the most annoying in cab drone you can imagine at 2,300+ RPMs. You can barely hold a conversation or hear music without blasting it in the truck. It's been really annoying. Anyway, finally picked up the solution today. :D

296218693.jpg

296218689.jpg

296218685.jpg

It's the 70 series for a little bit deeper growl than stock, and only slightly louder in-cab noise. Was too worried about having horrible drone after the past few months to go with a 50. Getting it installed tomorrow at 8 am. Should be back around in the evening with sound clips.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man i know what you mean. It is loud.

I have nothing past the cats....EEEK

can't wait to hear it.

Nice man! would love to hear what it sounds like. I think i'm gona go with dual cherrybombs but you may change my mind! I'm not sure which one yet.

Yeah I remember, that thing was loud... Hope this solution works out well for you. Dont forget to add to the sound clip collection. Goodluck!

Dan

waste of money, old aluminum cans work much better with chicken wire to patch mufflers :popcorn:

Looking good Paraphoe!

Alrighty, here's a couple of vids.

Please excuse me for being a freakin' idiot with the first one, and thinking I could take the video "portrait style". Now you have to twist your head to see it. :rolleyes:

Inside the truck.

pretty quiet

Alrighty, here's a couple of vids.

Please excuse me for being a freakin' idiot with the first one, and thinking I could take the video "portrait style". Now you have to twist your head to see it. :rolleyes:

Aww, not that hard to tilt my head:D

Sounds good though. Deep, but doesn't sound too loud.

paraphoe

My 01 sport when I bought it previously had the 70 series big block II flowmasters.

And it didnt sound that loud and deep to me so I went to a muffler shop and asked them what is the loudest and deepest flowmasters they got out there.

They told me the 40 series so now I got the dual 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and its a big difference my sport sounds real loud and deep now.

But how do u like ur 70 series on my 01 sport when I had it didnt sound to good.

But how do u like ur 70 series on my 01 sport when I had it didnt sound to good.

I mean, it's been on all of 6 hours, and all I've done is drive home from the muffler shop, but so far I like it. Like I said in my original post, the drone from the open muffler was driving me nuts. By the end of the 1:20 drive home from college my ears felt cottony and I just about wanted to punch a baby. So I'm glad that has been eliminated. Right now, I wish it was a bit deeper, because I did like the roar (and scaring the **** out of every girl that got out of my truck by flooring it) but I'm not sure I'd be willing to sacrifice my sanity on long highway drives anymore.

do u got single 70 series or dual. I got dual 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport

coo coo i got 2 1/2 inch pipes but i wanna get bigger

That don't sound bad at all. I think you made a good choice. Not as annoying as it was before.. :thumbsup:

Dan

Back