• Register Today It's free!

Message Center Help

Paul19

Reaction score
City, State
Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB 5.0
So recently I bought a 2000 Eddie Bauer 5.0 and I can't seem to clear the oil change required light. Oil sticker says it was changed 1k miles ago. Ended up bringing it to Ford and just getting a fresh oil change but the techs could not clear it as well.

Do I need a new message center? Can I test this one? Is it something else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe try disconnecting the battery terminals and re-connecting them. I know whenever I do this my message center forgets everything it had stored miles,gallons etc. Might work for the oil message.

Sorry, forgot to add I disconnected the connector in the back of message center and had battery fully out for at least a hour. Still says oil change required.

Now I am just shooting in the dark here, and this is what I would maybe do if it was me. I know there are two connectors that go into the back on the message center, one white, one black, I just had my center console out recently. What I would maybe try to do if it was me is try to find and isolate the problem. Now I don't know if this would work or not, but maybe try have the power on to the truck and try only having one of those connects that go into the message center pluged in at one time.

My theory here is. MAYBE, like you said it could be the message center or something else. If it was MAYBE the message center, having one of two of those connectors might only supply power to the unit and not information. Meaning you could see if the message center still puts off the message with just power to the unit, If thats even possible. And if maybe that was the issue you could go about getting a new message center, Maybe even the button is broke on the message center for the oil reset. Who knows. At least you might get some more information that way.

Now if it is something else then the message center, I do not know where the information comes from (sensor w.e). Someone else more knowledge might be able to help on that or you might have luck looking on here.

Wow just wow.. thank you for having me try that. Took one black plug out at a time. Seen a white plug at the bottom just hanging around. Plugged that in and it works fine. Owned before me must have unplugged it or it fell out. What a waste of 50$ for a second oil change lol thank you

hahahaha. I am really glad I could help. Fresh oil never hurt anything. :)

Back