message center: how accurate is it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

message center: how accurate is it?

slowsn

Reaction score
City, State
mcminnville, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EB Explorer
i searched the threads but didnt really have any luck. if theres one out there on this, i apologize in advance for starting this one.

just picked up my 1st explorer. 99 EB 2wd 4.0 with 169,300 miles. truck runs great. maintenanced well and kept clean. my message center has been continually displaying my fuel economy right around 20-21MPG. is that right? sounds way better than i expected. crawled underneath the truck and read the diff tag, 4.10 ! how on earth am i getting 21 mpg city driving with 4.10s?! granted, i have been babying it since i got it. it actually read 23.5-24mpg on the interstate on the way back home when i bought the truck. bought it saturday and have been driving it every day. since its only been city commuting for the past 4 days, its been consistant with 20-21 mpg.

when its time to fuel up again, im going to check it the old fashioned way. until then, was going to see what you guys had to say about it. if its accurate, thats pretty awesome.

thanks for any info

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

awesome!

other guys on here get comparable mileage?

4x4 4.10's, i get anywhere from 15-18 in good weather, and 20+ on the highway. I gave up my lead foot a long time ago, but i'll never give up the corners. i think the Explorers realy put the "S" in SUV.

im going to keep pussyfootin' it around. at any rate, it'll use less gas that way :)

i drive a 99 eb too, im always gettin around 21 but i drive 40 miles to work on highway every day. comin home from Pa last weekend i got 24.3 after 120 miles at 72 mph

maybe its more accurate than i think it is

mines usually off a couple, i keep a meticulous spreadsheet of my mileage tho.pretty accurate on a long hauls where there is pretty consistent speed, but in town its pretty shot.

The message center is pretty accurate.
Do a "reset " and let it calculate it again, whatever it comes out with after a while is just about right on the money. :thumbsup:
I hope this information helps.
Rick

The message center is pretty accurate.
Do a "reset " and let it calculate it again, whatever it comes out with after a while is just about right on the money. :thumbsup:
I hope this information helps.
Rick

cool. ill try that tomorrow.

thanks man

yea mine is pretty accurate too

Back