Message center installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Message center installation

RickOTR

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4X4
I was talking to a guy today who has a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT with the message center that he is parting out. I have always wanted to get one for my X. He told me he would let me have it for $40.00 complete with the harness. My question is, will it work on my 97 explorer sport or would I need to do a lot of re-wiring to make it work. Its in excellent condition. I found about eight connectors under the dash that are just hanging there not going to anything. Could these possibly be part of the message centers wiring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rick.. it's a lot of wiring to finish the project. There are a handful of people on the forum who have done it. It can be done, but its definitely not bolt-in. :D

no sports EVER had the plugs

the harness wont just plug and play

you will need to wire from the pigtails to your truck

it's about 14 wires

be aware a 98+ Message center will not work in a 95-97

I have both versions for $25 +shipping

Thanks guys, thats what I thought. I know Ford changed alot of the wiring between 95-97 and 98-01 and have read some of the posts from members here who have installed the MS in their explorers. Either way, too much wiring for me.

swing by MI sometime and I'll put one in for a good pizza and some beer

swing by MI sometime and I'll put one in for a good pizza and some beer

Wouldn't you rather swing over to Malibu for some camping at Leo Carrillo or something? :D

how bout canada for a snow ball fight!

its not that bad to put one in. i hate wiring, and i was able to pull it off.

Back