Metal Filings in oil pan, transmission slipping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Metal Filings in oil pan, transmission slipping

speednut

Reaction score
City, State
Coalville, England
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi all.

Thought i'd sorted my loss of drive problem by changing the transmission oil and filter in my 1998 Explorer (see "loss of drive after fluid change" thread). It did indeed drive fine for a couple of weeks, but has now started slipping again and when i changed the transmission oil again (for the third time in as many weeks!) it's still coming out black and smells burnt after only a few miles.

I've just bought another filter and another lot of oil, but can't see the point in re-filling it until i know whats going on. Theres also a lot of metal filings in the oil pan each time. I've checked and tightened the valve body bolts. They did tighten slightly, but i don't think it was enough to cause the massive slippage in the transmission that i'm getting. Basically, it drives ok when cold, but as it warms up, it starts to lose drive and the revs increase with no increase in speed (actually, a decrease in speed as it loses drive). This morning it actually came to a stop. I let it cool and managed to crawl home, but only just.

All suggestions greatly appreciated, but i am fearing the worst now!:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your tranny is FUBAR... time to hunt for a rebuilt or take it in and get it done. It's toast my friend...

Found a 2001 Explorer with a snapped cam chain with only 67000 miles on it! Would the transmission from this fit in my 1998 model? As far as i know they're the same?

I'd look at the trany cooler first. If your problem gets worse once it is "up to running temp" then your cooler (or tranny cooler of radiator if no seperate cooler" is most likely giving you fits.

OOPS: Once I read further, sounds like tranny is TOAST! Be sure to check out cooler before running replacement one though!

Not a cheap rebuild either. I had mine rebuilt 3 years ago for my 98 mountaineer. Cost me 2K.

Yep! Had a quote today of £1200+sales tax, which would make it about £1400 or approximately $2200. The car itself is only worth about £1100, so not really worth doing, but can't afford to lose the money on the car by scrapping either. Thats why i'm thinking used transmission........

try throwing some of that GOOk you buy in the store in there, there also use to be a trick of putting wood shavings in the trans to unload a vehicle, basically you only need it to "work" long enough to "sell" it

hre in michigan we have car auctions everywhere and you find these tricks there all the time and there's no way to retaliate since they have to sign a waver upon sale that says they cant gripe later (found that one out after getting a dodge with a cracked core support and bent frame, and a oldsmobile with a junkyard trans that crapped out)

I think wood shavings would just block the filter instantly and the transmission would lose drive completely, but i do like your car auction idea! At least its likely to be a car dealer that buys it there (most tend to be bought by dealers at a large auction) and they're likely to have the facilities to fix it, i'll think about that one!

Not sure whether it's true or not, but someone was telling me yesterday, that the transmission in the explorer is basically a unit that nissan threw out in the 1960's, because it was no good and Ford bought it from them?! Would explain all the problems?......

more than likely that person has a HUGE bias towards japanese cars

Back