Metal on Metal sound when braking hard - even after new brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Metal on Metal sound when braking hard - even after new brakes

Curtis

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
1996 4.0 control trac
My father had a scraping sound when braking hard.
On a soft brake to a stop, silent.

So he replaced rear pads and rotors. No change.
Then he replaced front pads and rotors and still no change.

He put the rear on jack stands, ran it in the garage with the brake on.. no noise.

So he figures the sound is for sure from the front.

My question is... With new pads and rotors, whats left to scrape?

He's had wheel bearings done before and he said the sound is not like that. Its like metal on Metal.

What about the CV axles? The are getting bad, under normal driving you cannot hear them but last winter when plowing in a turn, he could hear them clicking. He has new ones to go in but has not done it yet.

Any other ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any ideas out there?
Im at a loss...

Is the grinding constant the entire time when braking or only when you initially push the pedal?

Is the grinding constant the entire time when braking or only when you initially push the pedal?

Its a constant grind sound as long as the brake is on hard...
soft brake, driving and coasting are silent.

try and determine if its coming from both sides or just one.

there is a little metal tab on the side of the brake pad that will grind when the pad is wearing out. check that its not messed up somehow and scraping. also check that the dust shield isnt making contact when the caliper is grabbing the rotor.

if a cv joint is bad, it will make a consistent popping sound.

thats all the helpful I can be. good luck!

try and determine if its coming from both sides or just one. there is a little metal tab on the side of the brake pad that will grind when the pad is wearing out. check that its not messed up somehow and scraping.
LOL Ive learned that lesson before.. so Ive checked that

also check that the dust shield isnt making contact when the caliper is grabbing the rotor.
Checked that too...

if a cv joint is bad, it will make a consistent popping sound.

I totally agree...

Maybe I'll put her on 4 jack stands in the garage and see what I can here.

Back