Metal piece in oil | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Metal piece in oil

A SAFE DELAY FOR WATER PUMP ? (that's not leaking)
Years ago I put a grease nipple on the water pump cast housing between
the fan & block THE WEEP HOLE. When my 78 GMC 1/2 ton (bought new) started a bearing
noise, I pumped it full of grease and it lasted for more than a year with frequent applications.
I was a Dragline oiler (4600 Man.) our in house engines had nipples on their water pumps.

I notice the 04 V8's hole is in the same place on top. (Haynes)
V6 is on the bottom 6 o'clock & 9 o'clock best I can tell. (Rock Auto)

Belt seems too close for comfort........

I personally say that ANY Metal coming out of the oil pan except for the metal of the drain plug itself is BAD!!!

I agree with ticking time bomb and next time it might not give you the courtesy of being close to home or already immobilized where you have a choice of what troubleshooting steps and timing.

I definitely also agree with Black Stone labs. They have done mine before on another vehicle. Complete, quick and all you need is to send a sample. If you haven't taken the oil for disposal yet, hold off a bit. Find a suitable sealed container and hold. Black Stone will send you the test kit with instructions. Also remember that in most cases oil especially used oil....is Ground Transport only...including the Cargo carriers. Keep that in mind so don't expect a quick turn. BlackStone Labs usually puts it to the head of the line once it arrives there and they email you the results.

To be safe....DO NOT DRIVE. If you need to get it out of the way of other vehicles fine but try to place in a spot where it wont interfere with other vehicles and movement for a couple of weeks. If at all possible DONT START but I understand needing to get it out of the way..

A SAFE DELAY FOR WATER PUMP ? (that's not leaking)
Years ago I put a grease nipple on the water pump cast housing between
the fan & block THE WEEP HOLE. When my 78 GMC 1/2 ton (bought new) started a bearing
noise, I pumped it full of grease and it lasted for more than a year with frequent applications.
I was a Dragline oiler (4600 Man.) our in house engines had nipples on their water pumps.

I notice the 04 V8's hole is in the same place on top. (Haynes)
V6 is on the bottom 6 o'clock & 9 o'clock best I can tell. (Rock Auto)

Belt seems too close for comfort........
The water pump inside the engine so that may not work.

Peter

***update***
I replaced the water pump with a gates brand and a new timing set (kit) from cloyes myself in the garage. Saved about $1700 and took about 20 hrs. The motor runs strong and quieter than before. Stock water pump had MAJOR play in the bearing and could move and rattle around. I was relieved there was no engine damage.

Back