• Register Today It's free!

Metal Thermostat Housing?

03_exploder

Reaction score
City, State
lancaster, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer, 1998 F150
The lower thermostat housing on my explorer cracked last night. Before I bought a stock replacement for it, I'd like to know is there any aftermarket replacements that are metal?

Im still searching for one but if any of you have some info on this or could shed some light it would be very appreciated. The factory piece last 140k, so Im not concerned about it being plastic but if I can replace with something stronger I will.

This is the lower housing off a 4.0 SOHC V6 from a 2003

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The lower thermostat housing on my explorer cracked last night. Before I bought a stock replacement for it, I'd like to know is there any aftermarket replacements that are metal?

Im still searching for one but if any of you have some info on this or could shed some light it would be very appreciated. The factory piece last 140k, so Im not concerned about it being plastic but if I can replace with something stronger I will.

This is the lower housing off a 4.0 SOHC V6 from a 2003

There was talk on the mustang forums about getting some made but I never saw it happen.

~Mark

There was talk on the mustang forums about getting some made but I never saw it happen.

~Mark

Thank you I figured Id be looking for a needle in a haystack with this, but having one made for a DD isnt too cost effective. Looks like ill be buying a plastic one.

~Mark

Exactly, talk is cheap. I've "heard" about this $150 aluminum lower housing for quite some time.
The plastic OEM replacement seems to be a better design with fewer failures from leaking seams.
Here's another recent thread about the elusive metal housing we've heard about, but never seen:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...l-thermostat-housing-will-soon-available.html

My lower housing wasn't cracking but was beginning to leak water at the seam. So I just picked one up at the factory and replaced it. Took about an hour. No big dead.

metal thermostat housing available for 4.0

It has taken me almost a year from start to finish to bring this part to market. I have been running the prototype on my personal car for testing. I will have the first full production batch in a week. The lower housing will be $149 and the upper housing $39.95. The lower housing takes 5 cores during the casting process, thats why the cost is much higher than the top piece. The parts are made in north america and use alcoa aluminum , no chinese crap here. The parts will be available on ebay within two weeks and soon on my web site. I will offer free shipping for the first 50 orders no matter where you are located in the continental use. I can send over seas but cannot for free, I will calculate your shipping on a one on one basis. My aluminum housing is a one piece design on the bottom main housing , no two pieces to leak like the plastic pos. My paypal email address is "fdxmechanic@yahoo.com" If you would like to order through paypal and avoid the ebay fees. I have a 100% feedback on my ebay account, my id on ebay is "iwantit33". You can email me at "simmonsautosportz@yahoo.com" if you need more info or have questions.

Back