• Register Today It's free!

Metalllic dash "rattle"

shaker1

Reaction score
City, State
Algonquin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4X4 4.0
I've got a metallic clinking (very slight) dash rattle that only occurs when I go over a bump. Hard to reproduce. Sounds like it comes from around the column or maybe a-pillar.

Sort of a "plink....plink" sound.

Any idea what it is or where it is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could it come from the brake pads?
Then ask your ford dealer. He has a kit to remove that sound.

It sound like the dash, but I'll listen for that possibility. Thanks.

Could it come from the brake pads?
Then ask your ford dealer. He has a kit to remove that sound.

Just had mine done on my 08 - 3 days in the dealer waiting for parts, about a 1000 miles and its rattling again.

Mine too sounded like it was from the front until you open all the windows and you can hear it clearer. Kick the rear tires and see if you hear it, mine did.

You might look at the little housing behind the rear view mirror. I had a rattle that I thought was in the dash but it turned out that the mentioned housing was loose and rattling over bumps.

Thanks for the ideas. I will look into both of these.

Is the brake issue affecting the rears only? Anyone know what the exact cause/fix entails?

@dpxtwo

Is there a way to tighten that ugly little housing behind the rear view mirror?
Its ratteling is really annoying.

Yes our is also and I just discovered it the other day while driving it. I haven't looked at it closley yet but will try to tonight.

It looks like the little housing behind the review mirror is supposed to snap in place via a little hook built into the housing that should snap in a slot at the very back of the mirror support where it meets the winshield. Looks like my hook was sheared off casuing it to no longer snap in place. I had some adhesive velcro squares that is used to mount it securely back in place. I suspect that this will fail sometime though when the car gets nice and hot - which maybe today.

Did you have to remove the mirror to inspect it?

No, It will pop off if it is not broken and there is a plug that you have to unplug to completely take it off. If it is securely mounted then I would just leave it alone.

You might look at the little housing behind the rear view mirror. I had a rattle that I thought was in the dash but it turned out that the mentioned housing was loose and rattling over bumps.

I had the same problem with a rattling noise and couldn't figure it out for the longest time. REally annoying. Turned out it was the compass sensor thing on the back side of the rear view mirror. I "adjusted" it and the noise went away.

Back