Mexican Invasion of Texas | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Mexican Invasion of Texas

Stang Girl

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bastrop, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Cobra R Clone
I was kind of surprised that this hasn't been posted yet. Lots of talk in the news and on the radio about this. Personally, we need to start putting military on the border. I had heard on the radio that the Humvee had a .50 caliber gun on it as well, but I didn't see it mentioned in this story. This is getting ridiculous. :rolleyes:

http://www.elpasotimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060124/NEWS/60124003/1001/ARCHIVES

Mexican officials deny soldiers were involved in drug standoff

Times staff report
Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Mexican soldiers were not involved in a standoff with law enforcement officers from the United States on the Rio Grande near Sierra Blanca, Texas, on Monday, Mexican consul Juan Carlos Foncerrada Berumen said Tuesday.

Berumen said Mexican military uniforms may have been used by drug smugglers to confuse “public opinion” and damage relations between the two countries.

Hudspeth County Sheriff Arvin West said his deputies along with officers from the Texas Department of Public Safety were on patrol at about 2 p.m. when they began chasing three vehicles they suspected were carrying illegal drugs.

The officers chased the vehicles to the Rio Grande when they came across several men who appeared to be soldiers “in a Humvee with what appeared to the officers as being 50-caliber machine guns,” officials said.

No shots were fired and no injuries were reported, but the lives of the law enforcement officers were threatened, officials said.

Officers, who responded to the scene, said when they arrived at the border the men dressed in military uniforms drew their guns and pointed the automatic weapons toward them.

Officials said one vehicle that was being chased was seized and that 1,400 pounds of marijuana was left behind by the driver, who fled across the river. Another vehicle made it back into Mexico. The third vehicle became stuck in the river and set ablaze by the men dressed as soldiers after people dressed in civilian clothing unloaded bundles of drugs from the vehicle.

Sierra Blanca is about 90 miles east of El Paso, but the Hudspeth County line is about 10 miles from Fabens, Texas, which is in El Paso County.

In November, the Hudspeth sheriff’s department reported a similar incident involving soldiers from Mexico. Whether the men on the Mexican side of the border were soldiers from the Mexican military remains in dispute.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060125/NEWS/601250317/1001/ARCHIVES

Consulate says Mexican troops not in standoff

Tammy Fonce-Olivas
Jake Rollow
Wednesday, January 25, 2006

SIERRA BLANCA, Texas -- The Mexican government will not allow its soldiers within 3.2 miles of the U.S.-Mexican border as a result of a standoff Monday near Sierra Blanca between Texas law enforcement officers and men dressed in military uniforms.

Juan Carlos Foncerrada Berumen, the Mexican consul general in El Paso, said Tuesday the men who faced off with the Texas officers were not Mexican soldiers.

He said Mexican military uniforms may have been used Monday to confuse "public opinion" and damage relations between the two countries.

"We totally reject any assumption that pretends to involve the Mexican Army in this incident," Foncerrada Berumen said.

In response to Monday's incident, the Mexican government has ordered its military to create an alert zone, extending 3.2 miles from the border, and not to allow soldiers in the alert zone unless they have authorization, Foncerrada Berumen said.

Three Hudspeth County sheriff's deputies were confronted by the men in military uniforms on Monday when a chase of three suspicious SUVs led them toward the Rio Grande about eight miles east of the Fort Hancock port of entry, Hudspeth County Sheriff Arvin West said Tuesday.

"This is an issue that concerns me tremendously. I'm worried for these guys --for their safety," West said.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry ordered an investigation.

"It's certainly troubling and unacceptable and a real reminder of how an unsecure border threatens all Texans and the rest of the nation," Perry spokeswoman Kathy Walt said.

West said he and 11 officers are responsible for patrolling 525 square miles. He said his office needs more manpower, as does the Border Patrol, to battle drug smugglers who frequently try to bring illegal drugs through the U.S.-Mexico border in Hudspeth.

The deputies were on patrol at about 2 p.m. when they along with a state trooper began chasing vehicles they suspected were carrying illegal drugs.

The more than 12-mile chase began on Interstate 10 and ended at the river near Highway 34.

No shots were fired and nobody was injured, West said.

West and Rick Glancey, interim executive director of the Texas Border Sheriff's Coalition, said that when the officers were approaching the Rio Grande they saw a green military-style Humvee on the U.S. side of the border. Inside the Humvee were several men, who appeared to be Mexican soldiers.

The Humvee made its way back to Mexico as two of the SUVs tried to cross the river, which is about 16 feet wide in that area.

One of the SUVs made it safely across the border; another of the SUVs got stuck in about 3 feet of water. The third SUV, carrying 1,400 pounds of marijuana, was left behind because of a flat tire. The occupants of this vehicle fled across the river.

The vehicle in the river was set ablaze by the men in military uniforms after approximately 10 men in civilian clothing unloaded what appeared to be bundles of drugs from the SUV, officials said.

While the SUV was being unloaded, the men in military uniforms pointed their automatic weapons at the deputies and the other Texas law enforcement officers, West said

More than six law enforcement officers, including Border Patrol agents, responded to the scene, officials said.

West said his office cannot say with any certainty that the men wearing military uniforms were members of the Mexican military.

However, officers responding to the scene managed to take photographs of the SUV in the water being unloaded and of the Humvee.

In November, the Hudspeth sheriff's department reported a similar incident involving what appeared to be soldiers from Mexico. Whether the men on the Mexican side of the border were soldiers from the Mexican military remains in dispute.

Sierra Blanca is about 90 miles east of El Paso, but the Hudspeth County line is about 10 miles from Fabens in El Paso County.

Glancey said Monday's incident shows the need to increase law enforcement manpower along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Glancey, also the El Paso County Sheriff's Office spokesman, said the El Paso Sheriff's Office is concerned about Monday's incident, because the same problem "could arise in El Paso."

"It's imperative that we communicate with one another because we feel things are getting a little bit out of hand in terms of how things are operating along the border. This was a very dangerous situation and we are very, very fortunate that we have men and women from the Hudspeth County Sheriff's Office that went home alive," he said.

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

spindlecone

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
I say give them a break, are only supplying a market that is willing to pay for the goods.
They bring heroin and such in, thats fine, let the people that use such crap OD and remove themselves from the Gene pool.
Now MJ on the other hand is a very evil herb, as you all know it can cause two consenting adults, in the privacy of thier own home to perform unatural sex acts

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
On his show tonight, Bill O'reilly interviewed a Colorado congressman who was riding along with the sheriff patrol. He witnessed, and vouched as true, everything reported in the story. :eek:

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Same thing has been going on in Arizona. It's been in the news here too.

rocket 5979

Resident Gearhead
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Villa, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.6
Military perimeter setup with sharpshooters posted every mile. Should do the trick. Hell, I would volunteer to do that job! lol.

ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
rocket 5979 said:
Military perimeter setup with sharpshooters posted every mile. Should do the trick. Hell, I would volunteer to do that job! lol.

I remember hearing about someone that did just that - volunteered to watch the boarder(s). It's absolutely amazing as to what goes on.

-Drew

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
There is a group called the minutemen that are in CA or AZ that watch the border, they carry water and sidearms for the border crossers.
224 billion US dollars are sent to Mexico each year which is Mexico's second largest source of revenue.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
To bad our NATIONal guard is busy in another country.

rocket 5979

Resident Gearhead
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Villa, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.6
Mbrooks420 said:
To bad our NATIONal guard is busy in another country.

Not all of it. There are plenty of reservists still left.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
There isn't enough of it left. It's the NATIONal guard. Not international guard, not the I-got-an-entire-country-in-over-their-head-and-don't-have-enough-soldiers guard. Their job is to protect this nation, within this nation. Not to get shipped off with a bunch of equipment and vehicles that will be left overseas and never returned.

rocket 5979

Resident Gearhead
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Villa, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.6
Mbrooks420 said:
There isn't enough of it left. It's the NATIONal guard. Not international guard, not the I-got-an-entire-country-in-over-their-head-and-don't-have-enough-soldiers guard. Their job is to protect this nation, within this nation. Not to get shipped off with a bunch of equipment and vehicles that will be left overseas and never returned.

No, their job is to do exactly what they are doing. Just because their primary mission is national security doesnt mean they cannot be tasked elsewhere. If we waited to use the NG until the shit really hit the fan in the US then all we would have is a bunch of fat lazyass and untrained NG soldiers that havent seen a conflict since Korea, and thus would be much more ineffective at doing their job. Keeping them over in places such as Iraq helps keep their skills sharp. Well as sharp as can be for the average National Guardsmen only going to one conflict every rough 20 years on average. Active duty military such as myself already are filling roles/billets around the world doing various things from simply pushing a pencil across a desk to full on spec-op missions in OIF and OEF. Being that we already have pre-existing jobs to fill we need to pull additional bodies from elsewhere. Then our active force that is actually available to go over and fight the war will retrain the reserve components before, and when they arrive in country. Thats how its always been and that is how it will probably be for a long time to come.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
This isn't a war, it was a military invasion, and has become a long term military occupation with no real end in sight, and no clear path to "safety" Besides, we are getting off topic. I bet 150 billion would have sealed up the Mexican border nicely. Then maybe that pesky "war on drugs" could come to an end. That's more likely to come to an end than this bull shit "war on terror".

jeff96

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Ninja 636, 96 Ex Sport
One of those minute men captured a group of illegal immigrants on his land (his ranch borders the us-mexico border. He detained them at gunpoint and called the authorities, the immigrants sued him for something about violating their rights and won his ranch from him! Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this!!!

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I highly doubt they "won his ranch from him" The border has been a sponge for far too long, but we don't have the man power or cash flow to stop it. It's hard to seal up a 1,300 strech. The great wall of America. Maybe they could get it at Wal-mart. :rollback:

MyExpWork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Camarillo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
Mbrooks420 said:
This isn't a war, it was a military invasion, and has become a long term military occupation with no real end in sight, and no clear path to "safety" Besides, we are getting off topic. I bet 150 billion would have sealed up the Mexican border nicely. Then maybe that pesky "war on drugs" could come to an end. That's more likely to come to an end than this bull shit "war on terror".

I'm sorry "bull shit war on terror". Do you not beleive in protecting Americans from terrorism? Or do you mean spefically the war in Iraq?

Not Clinton basing, but we had a bullshit war on terror for 8 years of his term that didn't get us anywhere.

Okay, back on topic.

They (we) should really begin tightening our border with Mexico, but in the same time offer part-time or seasonal workers to come over and register and work. There are plenty of honest workers that come over to work. There is also plenty of unhonest people coming over.

We need to strike fear into the eyes of the unhonest and welcome the seasonal workers.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Protection from terrorists is very important. The things that are going on in the name of "homeland security" and the "war on terror" are total BS, including the continued occupation of Iraq. The mission was to stop "WMD". There weren't any, mission accomplished, lets pack it in.

SVO

Moderator Emeritus/Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Bastrop/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
Turbocharged Navajo LX
spindlecone said:
Now MJ on the other hand is a very evil herb, as you all know it can cause two consenting adults, in the privacy of thier own home to perform unatural sex acts

Anyone know where I can a lid, I gotta try this out.

Oh, I'm sorry what was that we're talking about?

Jeff - :navajo:

spindlecone

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
SVO said:

Oh, I'm sorry what was that we're talking about?

A LID? showin your age dude
Next Election Vote Libertarian, close the borders, let the rest of the friggin world take care of themselves

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stang Girl

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bastrop, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Cobra R Clone
spindlecone said:

SVO said:

Ummm, do I need to plan anything for tonight? :eek: ;)

Back on a serious note....

Today, the Mexican Government is saying that those were US citizens who did all that! :confused: Yeah, ok. Several things I thought of last night. I would bet you money those SUV's were probably stolen from the US. Secondly, if these folks can get 10 miles within the US border before being caught, with 2 SUV and a freaking Humvee with a .50 caliber machine gun mounted to it...whose to say that the next time it won't be a terrorist?