MFS Connector Pigtail?

1998Exp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Seattle WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited V8 AWD
Direction lights stopped working. Traced the problem to a pin in the MFS (multi-function switch) connector that pulled itself out. When I disengaged the connector, a couple more pins pulled out too. The reason? Over time the heat dissipated in the not-so-tight contacts damaged the little plastic retainers in the connector shell, the retainers broke, and there was nothing to hold these contacts anymore. I managed to push those pins back, but this, obviously, is not a good long-term solution. So can anyone find the part number for this connector, as a pigtail? This is the gray one identified as C217 in the manual.
And yes, I know that it would be a good idea to convert to LEDs to reduce the current consumption and the heat dissipated in that connector. The flasher will have to be replaced with an LED-compatible one.

Incidentally, when troubleshooting the problem, I discovered that my 1998 EVTM has the pin numbers in the flasher diagram completely wrong.
They should be as follows:
Number Wire Color Function
1 LB Turn
2 O/Y Ignition
3 R/W Bat
4 W/R Hazard
5 BK Gnd

As if that wasn't enough, the picture of the flasher connector shows the pin numbers wrong. Looking into the flasher, with the engagement tab at the top, the arrangement should be:

TAB
5 4 3

The flasher itself (at least the OEM one) also has the pin numbers stamped on the base

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the instant response. Nothing like the knowledge of members on this forum!
Should have googled for it before posting - it's a common problem, and there are several after-market sources for this pigtail, as well as a pricey Motorcraft (about $30 at Rock Auto).

Thanks for the instant response. Nothing like the knowledge of members on this forum!
Should have googled for it before posting - it's a common problem, and there are several after-market sources for this pigtail, as well as a pricey Motorcraft (about $30 at Rock Auto).
I use a kindle this is kinda like my morning paper explorer forums news coffee
Glad to help

IF you still have an issue with the turn signals, try cycling the hazard switch a few times. Our '95's signals went wonky due to the hazard switch being gummed up. We sprayed DeOxit and cycled the switch a few times and it cleaned things up. I THINK we were able to pull off the hazard button but that was awhile ago.

Team
TARDIS

IF you still have an issue with the turn signals, try cycling the hazard switch a few times. Our '95's signals went wonky due to the hazard switch being gummed up. We sprayed DeOxit and cycled the switch a few times and it cleaned things up. I THINK we were able to pull off the hazard button but that was awhile ago.

Team
TARDIS

Not my problem, but good suggestion: when in the "normal" position, the Hazard switch enables the turn signals through a second pair of contacts. If it is old and gummed up, the turn signals may not work. And no, you can't just replace the Hazard switch - it's a part of the MFS.

Back