MFT 2.7 to 2.8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT 2.7 to 2.8

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited
Has anyone update from 2.7 to 2.8? I am scheduled to update mine tomorrow and was wondering what the improvements were since ford does not offer release notes. I am hopping some of the issues below are resolved. I know a lot of these have workarounds or is a restriction of my phone, but I am curios to see if it is even worth the trip.

Issues with MFT 2.7
Wallpaper format message incorrect
Screen responses slow but somewhat accptable
No phone book contact pictures with iphone4 (Pluged and via BT)
Can not browse Music via Bluetooth
Album art on SD Card Music is hit & miss with Gracenotes off does not even show with gracenote on.
Indexing takes a very long time
Can not use Album Cover flow mode unless I have Gracenote album art on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know. But all are going from an older version of MFT. (i.e. 2.4 to 2.8) I am curious on how different the experience is going from 2.7 to 2.8.

Considering the correct way to install 2.8 is to completely wipe the previous version then load the new OS, there technically shouldn't be any difference with regards to what version you are upgrading from.

It would be like installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 after a fresh format instead of doing the upgrade route so it wouldn't matter if you had Vista before or XP.

Considering the correct way to install 2.8 is to completely wipe the previous version then load the new OS, there technically shouldn't be any difference with regards to what version you are upgrading from.

It would be like installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 after a fresh format instead of doing the upgrade route so it wouldn't matter if you had Vista before or XP.

I don't think that is a good analogy. From my understanding 2.8 is suppose to fix or improve something broken in 2.7. So a better analogy would be going from Windows 95 to Windows 98 or iOS 4.2 to iOS 4.3. I would like to know what was fixed or added in 2.8 that wasn't available in 2.7. Otherwise whats the point of upgrading?

So if I'm currently using version 2.4 should I upgrade to 2.8?

So if I'm currently using version 2.4 should I upgrade to 2.8?

I'm still on 2.4 and plan to wait until we hear about the rumored major update before I have mine updated. Unless, of course, the flapping sound I thought I heard yesterday was the beginning of my A Pillar journey...

Issues with MFT 2.7
Wallpaper format message incorrect
Screen responses slow but somewhat accptable
No phone book contact pictures with iphone4 (Pluged and via BT)
Can not browse Music via Bluetooth
Album art on SD Card Music is hit & miss with Gracenotes off does not even show with gracenote on.
Indexing takes a very long time
Can not use Album Cover flow mode unless I have Gracenote album art on.

I have 2.8 (never had 2.7) and I can say this:

Wallpaper message - dunno. Haven't tried it

Screen response - seems sluggish to me on 2.8. Can't compare to 2.7 though.

phone book photos with iPhone 4 - Nope

Browse music via bluetooth - nope

Album art - I have no problems at all with gracenote off. All my art shows. With gracenote on I get nothing.

Indexing - takes a long time, IMHO. And occasionally happens for no apparent reason.

cover flow without gracenote - nope.

Like I said I didn't have 2.7, but it doesn't sound like 2.8 is the answer to the issues you have.

EDIT: Oops. Just figured out the the OP was 3 weeks ago. Guess you already know all this by now. Oh well.

I would wait for the rumored new update that is coming "within six weeks". My 2.8 is horribly buggy and drives me nuts.

Save your self the hassle and time to go to the dealer until they can really fix it.

From Ford Sync customer service.

I spoke to someone that was pretty helpful and assured me it's a major update.

...Can't come quick enough.

Back