MFT added lock pick air and while installing a Dvd player I shorted owe on 12v wire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT added lock pick air and while installing a Dvd player I shorted owe on 12v wire

mikecombs66

Reaction score
City, State
Aventura, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
2014 Ford Explorer Sport with navigation and My Ford Touch With lock pick air installed for the past two months and working great, I decided to upgrade with a Dvd player in the glove compartment. I decided to add a cooling fan as well, As I was wiring up the DVD player in the glove box, I accidentally grounded the key on 12 volts (yellow wire, made the mistake with my fan power switch wiring, now my screen does not come on, air-conditioning controls are completely dead, my rear hatch ajar message. Interior lights stay on even after locking all doors. I have the message temporarily lost communication with the touch screen - my airbag light is now on in the dash,

Touch Screen is not working. All I could find for the stereo is The number 29 fuse under the dash on the drivers side- it was fine. Can anyone send me wire diagram or help me with what fuse I popped or what damage I did exactly? I'm so miserable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now there's an expensive oops.....A wiring diagram in hand right from the start might have been a better plan....

It seems that there are too many items that are not working and are governed by different fuses. I wonder if the APIM may have been fried?

Peter

That does it. I will not be wiring any type of accessory in my Explorer.

That does it. I will not be wiring any type of accessory in my Explorer.

Or you could follow any intelligent instruction manual and disconnect the power source before messing with the wiring.

My guess would be, it's not a fuse issue, but that you took out the APIM. A trip to Ford is in the cards for you, sir.

That is why I do not do any electrical upgrades, not even HID lights.

2014 Ford Explorer Sport with navigation and My Ford Touch With lock pick air installed for the past two months and working great, I decided to upgrade with a Dvd player in the glove compartment. I decided to add a cooling fan as well, As I was wiring up the DVD player in the glove box, I accidentally grounded the key on 12 volts (yellow wire, made the mistake with my fan power switch wiring, now my screen does not come on, air-conditioning controls are completely dead, my rear hatch ajar message. Interior lights stay on even after locking all doors. I have the message temporarily lost communication with the touch screen - my airbag light is now on in the dash,

Touch Screen is not working. All I could find for the stereo is The number 29 fuse under the dash on the drivers side- it was fine. Can anyone send me wire diagram or help me with what fuse I popped or what damage I did exactly? I'm so miserable.
YIKES! This could be an expensive "oops".

There is a listing of fuses on the fuse blocks in our owners manual. I'd be checking them all before the next step, which is a trip to the dealer for a new APIM. If it isn't a fuse, that may become a really, really expensive dvd player.......

Hope you have deep pockets! I have heard the APIM is upwards of $1000. Ford won't warranty that since you were hacking the system and caused the problem!

Was a body control module. It's back to normal. It's always important to have a wire diagram for our vehicles on hand in case you need it. I found one online and I traced down the problem took care of it myself. Besides I don't like it when people go into a brand-new vehicle start changing things and then you give it back to you with rattles.

Back