• Register Today It's free!

MFT - Complete Rebuild- January

jcerrion

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Hey guys, Ive been a member here since i got my 11 xlt and i share in the pain of issues regarding MFT.

If you have read any of my other posts, you may know that i have a family member with deep connections into Ford (24 years in executive position)

Anyway, I have yet to see this actually confirmed and or you may already know, but Ford is due to release a brand new and complete rebuild of "My Ford Touch". It is in beta right now. Set to release come January 2012. It will come as a dealer install and cannot be downloaded from Syncmyride as it is a massive overhaul of our current MFT systems.

As with any of these massive rebuilds its possible this release date can be delayed. I dont know the specifics, but my understanding from my dad is that MFT will look and operate completely different from the way it is right now. No more "4 corners" and all the awkward ipod menus and Sirius SAT issues.

I dont know if this is a good thing or bad, but hopefully it becomes much more fluid as like operating systems on Droid or iphones.

I am unaware if Ford or the MFT tech team here has released this info, or more so if it is even supposed to be news to the public yet.

As such please do not contact me in regards of whether or not this rumor is true. I simply dont know for sure, but have heard from high connections that it is indeed supposed to be released come January 2012.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I apologize to the powers that be; for creating a new thread when the one directly below me already discusses this new MFT rebuild.

i apologize to the powers that be; for creating a new thread when the one directly below me already discusses this new mft rebuild.

+1 ;)

Lets hope!

In the meantime, shut your radio OFF before turning off the car and having MFT go into the shutdown process. I find that so far this has helped with lockups, etc and things at least work when I do this. I think somehow in the shutdown process something is getting messed up so if there is one less thing for the software to shut down it does help.

Hey guys, Ive been a member here since i got my 11 xlt and i share in the pain of issues regarding MFT.

If you have read any of my other posts, you may know that i have a family member with deep connections into Ford (24 years in executive position)

Anyway, I have yet to see this actually confirmed and or you may already know, but Ford is due to release a brand new and complete rebuild of "My Ford Touch". It is in beta right now. Set to release come January 2012. It will come as a dealer install and cannot be downloaded from Syncmyride as it is a massive overhaul of our current MFT systems.

As with any of these massive rebuilds its possible this release date can be delayed. I dont know the specifics, but my understanding from my dad is that MFT will look and operate completely different from the way it is right now. No more "4 corners" and all the awkward ipod menus and Sirius SAT issues.

I dont know if this is a good thing or bad, but hopefully it becomes much more fluid as like operating systems on Droid or iphones.

I am unaware if Ford or the MFT tech team here has released this info, or more so if it is even supposed to be news to the public yet.

As such please do not contact me in regards of whether or not this rumor is true. I simply dont know for sure, but have heard from high connections that it is indeed supposed to be released come January 2012.

Not sure about you guys but i like the 4 corners GUI and would be happy if the system got more responsive with some graphical updates.

I'd hope to think if they are abandoning the 4 corners gui they must have come up with something even better. Finger crossed

Not sure about you guys but i like the 4 corners GUI and would be happy if the system got more responsive with some graphical updates.

I'd hope to think if they are abandoning the 4 corners gui they must have come up with something even better. Finger crossed

Thanks for sharing.... I'd be nice if Ford would publicly comment on this.

It'd be nice if they'd let some of us help them beta test it as well. Since we'll be the ones living with it for a while!

It'd be nice if they'd let some of us help them beta test it as well. Since we'll be the ones living with it for a while!

Just so you know, it was brought up several times in the forums to let some of us beta test.They did say they might let us know if they ever needed it. However, since it doesn't exist so far...:rolleyes:

Just so you know, it was brought up several times in the forums to let some of us beta test.They did say they might let us know if they ever needed it. However, since it doesn't exist so far...:rolleyes:

... just like we're all beta-testing the current version? :D

+1

I'll file this in my "I'll believe it when I see it" file. Or at least some sort of official statement from Ford.

I LOVE the four corners, all other problems aside.

Setting aside my skepticism for just a moment...

If they're actually going to redesign the interface one thing that they need to address is the cumbersome navigation of artists/albums/songs on USB drives. I find that I never even bother anymore with the music on my USB stick (which was the thing I was most anxious to do with MFT when getting this vehicle) because it...is...so...slow...and...clumsy...that...it...takes...pretty...much...a...mile...of...driving...to...navigate...to...Pink Floyd...and...then...the...album...Animals...and...then...if...I...decide...that...what...I...really....wanted...was...the...Pink...Floyd...album...Wish...You...Were...Here...I...can't...just...go..."up"...one...level...and...slelect...that...Pink...Floyd...album...I...have...to...start...all...the...way...back...at...the...beginning...and...oh, look, I'm already at my destination. :rolleyes:

Maybe they could address that.

I'm all for a redesign as well even though I have figured weird workarounds for some of my issues. I just hope that the redesign is not only for 2013 or 2014 model year and beyond as hinted at in the little information that is actually leaked about MFT development.

FYI, my workaround to the USB Audio doesn't work sometimes bug is to unplug and replug in the phone, and select AM/FM from the steering wheel (not via the touch screen) and then go back and select USB source from the steering wheel (this works for me most of the time when USB doesn't work for me). Actually, just switching sources and then selecting from steering wheel SOMEtimes works for both USB audio not working and Bluetooth Audio not working.

For the non-existent (for most phones) but still advertised by Ford text feature, one big benefit with an iPhone 4S that has already been pointed out in other threads (and that I hope doesn't get wiped out by Ford in a redesign) is that pushing and holding the home button on the iPhone will get Siri's voice to sound out through the car audio as if you were making a call. From there, using the Siri text (and email) work great (assuming MFT doesn't decide that it can't connect to your phone and won't pair or re-pair no matter what you do during your trip, but magically will recognize your phone with no problem a day later/ thankfully, only happened to me 2x since I bought the car in May).

I hope the redesign is (a) real, (b) backwards compatible with all Explorer MFTs to date, and (c) good enough to avoid having to come up with really distracting (and potentially dangerous) in car workarounds to make the system simply work like it should).

Any suggested workaround for the Nav failure bug (again, thankfully, not that common for me) or bluetooth audio doesn't work bug (more common a bug for me) would be welcome.

Setting aside my skepticism for just a moment...

If they're actually going to redesign the interface one thing that they need to address is the cumbersome navigation of artists/albums/songs on USB drives. I find that I never even bother anymore with the music on my USB stick (which was the thing I was most anxious to do with MFT when getting this vehicle) because it...is...so...slow...and...clumsy...that...it...takes...pretty...much...a...mile...of...driving...to...navigate...to...Pink Floyd...and...then...the...album...Animals...and...then...if...I...decide...that...what...I...really....wanted...was...the...Pink...Floyd...album...Wish...You...Were...Here...I...can't...just...go..."up"...one...level...and...slelect...that...Pink...Floyd...album...I...have...to...start...all...the...way...back...at...the...beginning...and...oh, look, I'm already at my destination. :rolleyes:

Maybe they could address that.

? why are you bothering with the touch screen?

Just press the voice button and say "Play Album Wish You Were Here"

While the voice control works poorly for navigation its actually incredibly good for songs.

? why are you bothering with the touch screen?

Just press the voice button and say "Play Album Wish You Were Here"

While the voice control works poorly for navigation its actually incredibly good for songs.

It works OK if you really know what you want to hear, but many (if not most) times I tend to want to browse my collection looking for something. Where it falls apart is not just the molasses-like performance when browsing, but the inexplicable inability to "go back" one level once you start playing something. That's just lousy design and something that should be addressed in any sort of overhaul.

I LOVE the four corners, all other problems aside.

agreed.......however all i want is for the F***ing thing to work without crashing every week. So i guess i don't care what the final product looks like. well, at least it will be nice to knock one issue off the list. then i can concentrate on the rattling plastic, rear liftgate alignment, and tin can roof when it rains.

It works OK if you really know what you want to hear, but many (if not most) times I tend to want to browse my collection looking for something. Where it falls apart is not just the molasses-like performance when browsing, but the inexplicable inability to "go back" one level once you start playing something. That's just lousy design and something that should be addressed in any sort of overhaul.

Gotcha!

I must say that the music voice commands ROCK! and work most of the time.

Too bad the nav commands dont.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More details at engadget.

Pro bono upgrade for 2011/2012 owners.

Back