How to: - MFT Master Reset versus pulling Fuse versus disconnecting Negative Battery Cable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: MFT Master Reset versus pulling Fuse versus disconnecting Negative Battery Cable

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

jmr061

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Exp Sport
Hoping this might be made a sticky.

I see confusion often times in threads regarding the "resetting" of the MyFord Touch system. The MFT system does not fully power off when you shut the key off. Think of it as your home computer going into suspend or hibernate mode. If you see the SYNC Maintenance screen come up think of it as your home computer doing a full reboot.

Often times glitches are solved with a reset of the MFT system but there are three types of resets; a master reset done via the MFT touch panel, pulling the interior fuse for the MFT APIM (the brains of the MFT system) and finally pulling the negative battery cable.

Here is what each one does:

MFT Master Reset - This will erase all user entered data/phone pairing and reset the data of the APIM back to factory defaults and it should reboot the APIM (causing the SYNC Maintenance screen to come up).

Pulling the MFT fuse (#29 in my Taurus) - eliminates power to the APIM and the GPS module. This does not erase user entered data in the MFT/APIM system. It will cause the APIM to reboot which makes the SYNC Maintenance screen come up the next time the MFT system is powered on. It is like pulling the power to your home computer and letting it do a full reboot. This will cause the GPS module to do a cold start and it may take a while for it to reacquire a GPS signal lock. No other modules in the vehicle will be affected. I would do this with the vehicle ignition turned off.

Disconnecting the negative battery cable - This does the same thing as pulling the MFT fuse however EVERYTHING in the vehicle loses power and anything that requires voltage to maintain data will reset to factory build status (such as the transmission learn, etc).

If I were having issues with MFT I would personally pull the interior fuse first, if that doesn't fix it, do a master reset and if that still doesn't fix it pull the negative battery cable for 15 seconds.

The above information is based on my interpretation of the vehicle service manual involving the MFT system, testing within my own vehicle and my bench setup for programming APIMs and knowledge of the MFT system I have gained through my experience with it. Anything you do to your vehicle is at your own risk. Just a CYA disclaimer.

One other piece of information...it seems that some people think the MFT links and controls everything within the vehicle. While the MFT APIM is connected to the vehicle network just like every other module in the vehicle doing a master reset or fuse reset of the MFT system will not always solve issues of other modules within the vehicle. For instance the easy exit/entry feature of a vehicle has nothing to do with MFT and resetting MFT will not fix it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

... but there are three types of resets; a master reset done via the MFT touch panel, pulling the interior fuse for the MFT APIM (the brains of the MFT system) and finally pulling the negative battery cable.

The easiest way to reboot is using the delayed reboot app, requires no awkward positioning to get to the fuse, no losing settings because you pulled the battery cable, but accomplishes the exact same thing.

Download and instructions can be found at

http://outofmytouch.com/reboot.html

The easiest way to reboot is using the delayed reboot app, requires no awkward positioning to get to the fuse, no losing settings because you pulled the battery cable, but accomplishes the exact same thing.

Download and instructions can be found at

http://outofmytouch.com/reboot.html

+1.

Also, newer versions of MFT software(3.6 and above) will intermittently do the reboot when your vehicle is off. If you press the voice button an instruction menu will appear on the screen, then hit the X in the left upper corner. This screen will no longer appear. When it does reappear, after hitting voice button, it means the system has rebooted.

Lots of personal preferences. I'll just pull the negative cable. One little nut to loosen and everything resets itself. I crawled under the dash once.

Lots of personal preferences. I'll just pull the negative cable. One little nut to loosen and everything resets itself. I crawled under the dash once.

disconnecting the battery has other consequences.. resets things like transmission learning and some other settings.

If you are going to do a battery disconnect, our cars are equipped w/ a quick disconnect, no need to loosen any nuts. On the positive cable there is a big blue connector, you can press in on the tab and disconnect it there.

disconnecting the battery has other consequences.. resets things like transmission learning and some other settings.
I'm aware, and it doesn't bother me. All the learning is relearned, as it would be if the battery was replaced, etc.

If you are going to do a battery disconnect, our cars are equipped w/ a quick disconnect, no need to loosen any nuts. On the positive cable there is a big blue connector, you can press in on the tab and disconnect it there.
To each their own. I just grab a wrench as I'm walking by my toolbox and disconnect the negative. Doesn't take me that much more time, and the connection is right at the front of the vehicle.

To each their own. I just grab a wrench as I'm walking by my toolbox and disconnect the negative. Doesn't take me that much more time, and the connection is right at the front of the vehicle.

The quick disconnect is the front of the vehicle as well.. its on the positive battery terminal. Its easier than loosening the negative cable. It was just an FYI, to save you from needing to grab a tool.

Back