• Register Today It's free!

MFT Rage!!

hannibalhector

Reaction score
City, State
Bronx, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
After 5 months with my Ex I still become enraged with the myriad of glitches on MFT. I have also lost faith in Ford with regards to fixing this. I only wish that some genius programmer (who happened to own an Ex) would take it upon himself to cook up a custom version of MFT. If this were a smartphone or game console, there would have been 1000 various customized versions of MFT by now. You should see the things these programmers do to these phones and consoles. It's pure genius. Best of all, its usually free. I would be willing to pay top dollar for a programmer to take MFT and tweak it. I'd be willing to sacrifice voice control altogether for an overall smoother running system at this point, as I feel that VC is a major cause of the system lag. (even though we should not have to sacrifice this). Hope there is a genius programmer out there reading ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i don't even use voice control, so i'm fine with losing that feature for a faster system....mine lags big time.

Apparently there's supposed to be an SDK (software development kit) for Sync:
https://secure.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/Developer/Subscribe.aspx

But I don't see a download link or anything of that sort, or even specifications (language, etc...).

EDIT - nevermind, that's just for mobile systems (phones, etc..), not for the in-dash system itself.

But it would be interesting to see an independent software layer on top of this hardware. Maybe a Linux flavor with a custom hardware interface layer.

the PS3 has a linux based OS. There's a gang of 17 year old kids out there who can turn that system inside out, and im sure its far more complex than MFT! Too bad none of them can afford Explorers :( We would potentially be able to toggle voice control on/off, quick ipod browsing, maybe even video playback while the car is in Drive. Its a shame, i've actually considered getting a pioneer or kenwood unit! thats how much i loathe MFT.

the PS3 has a linux based OS. There's a gang of 17 year old kids out there who can turn that system inside out, and im sure its far more complex than MFT! Too bad none of them can afford Explorers :( We would potentially be able to toggle voice control on/off, quick ipod browsing, maybe even video playback while the car is in Drive. Its a shame, i've actually considered getting a pioneer or kenwood unit! thats how much i loathe MFT.

That's a big issue. I don't even think we can practically replace this system. Some of the controls don't have real buttons - only MFT. So if we even wanted to replace this system, we would loose functionality.

Could someone that has not downloaded 2.11 yet, OR has the file saved to their computer post the file here on the forums?

Then someone with some programming knowledge could start tearing this apart and see how we could 'jailbreak' this system.

Open source MFT would be the eventual goal.

Any takers?

Could someone that has not downloaded 2.11 yet, OR has the file saved to their computer post the file here on the forums?

Then someone with some programming knowledge could start tearing this apart and see how we could 'jailbreak' this system.

Open source MFT would be the eventual goal.

Any takers?

What would you do with it if someone did have this? I don't know how you make it open source if you don't have the source code.

So we have an Explorer Forum with actively participating Ford reps on it, and what the heck- why not- now we're discussing someone posting the software here illegally so someone else can pirate it, and try to hack into it?

Yeah, great plan. Whether or not MFT works, maybe we can keep it legal?

It's common practice with enterprise system vendors that when they sell you a software, the contract includes an escrow agreement. This means that if the vendor goes out of business, or decides to stop developing and supporting the system, the source code is automatically released to the buyer. If Ford gave up fixing MFT then I'd like to ask them to open up the source and let some capable 16 year olds handle it :)

This is not pirating if you post it up. A software update is not copyright protected. Modifying the software would be against Ford's intentions, just as adding a turbo or aftermarket part is.

Google releases their software updates that people are free to make changes to and create their custom versions ie cyanogenmod, etc. It's where you have an app/store ecosystem to protect that vendors tend to start getting angry about modifications.

I have already had my system upgraded to the 2.11 level. Someone else please post them up here (or rapidshare or whatever).

Someone with some software knowledge should be able to take the payload and tear it apart and figure out whether it's a complete system flash or just updates to a few key system files.

If you're not interested in participating JD, then that's up to you. If Ford has an issue with custom builds of MFT, then I'm sure they will speak up with a simple take-down notice.

As should the forum. As a supporter, I'm just a little more protective of it that some I suppose. Carry on.

Someone with some software knowledge should be able to take the payload and tear it apart and figure out whether it's a complete system flash or just updates to a few key system files.

If you're not interested in participating JD, then that's up to you. If Ford has an issue with custom builds of MFT, then I'm sure they will speak up with a simple take-down notice.

I just called to make an appointment for my Explorer, I said Oil change and MFT issues and she said OK. I said do you want to know what they are? She said "We already know".....so sounds like it is just not unhappy campers on this forum with problems eh? She said we can do an upgrade and I said I already did that....I said I want it looked at and would like it fixed. Appointment is Monday.

She also said it is really Fords problem, they will do what they can but are waiting for them. The whole issue STINKS and to be honest I think Ford $ucks for keeping quiet about any fixes....the dealers are even suffering, put yourselves in their shoes. I have NEVER heard a car dealer say "...we already know" about a problem...pitiful!!

If someone can fix this POS please do! I wish I could help...

We can not and will not post the update and/or the MFT software. And "jailbreaking" isn't the right concept in this situation. And we cant alter Ford's code because that is a closed source. What were describing is taking an existing hardware, understanding it, and then putting another set of sftware on top of it - an isolated bottm-up approach that has nothing to do with the existing MFT software.

This is not pirating if you post it up. A software update is not copyright protected.

Sorry, but you're wrong about that.

Google releases their software updates that people are free to make changes to and create their custom versions ie cyanogenmod, etc. It's where you have an app/store ecosystem to protect that vendors tend to start getting angry about modifications.

Google's Android OS is open source. Completely different animal. It's like comparing Linux to Windows. All Windows updates, like the original software it's installed upon are copyrighted.

So what about iOS updates that are all over the web? Do you see any takedown notices for those? They are freely distributed by Apple and other parties.

Back