• Register Today It's free!

MFT Slow when iPhone paired

zrdean

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
I bought a 2011 Explorer back in April. I absolutely love it and it's been great. I bought the A7 maps SD card so I could have the most current maps. Since I've had the A7 card, the system gets INCREDIBLY slow and lags heavily. I took it to the dealer and they ran all the updates needed and told me that it should be fixed. It wasn't.

Long story short, I took it back, they told me that the "aftermarket" A7 card was the issue. They acted like I had some bootlegged SD card in there. I bought it from Ford / Mercury | Navigation System GPS Map Update Home not bootlegged.

Anyway, they suggested I continue using the A4 card....not happening.

I did a master reset and put the A7 card back in but didn't pair my phone with the system. It worked great. Then I paired my phone with it and it almost immediately started lagging. I did some Googling and found that someone had the same issue and they changed the name of their phone to not have an apostrophe in it (my iPhone defaulted to "<name>'s iPhone") So I changed that, re-paired, and it seemed to behave for a day or so. Today, it got laggy again so I deleted the phone, re-paired it told MFT not to download contact pictures (it didn't do that to start with, but I didn't want that to be the reason the system was freezing up,) and didn't allow my phone to sync recent calls or favorites. Some of my recent 'calls' were FaceTime Audio calls--I didn't know if that could have been what's freezing it up. It started lagging again---so I turned automatic phonebook download off and deleted all contacts on MFT. That made a ton of difference.

If you've made it this far, I appreciate you already. This is very frustrating. I have 378 contacts...is that too many. Is that what could be causing this issue? If not, does anyone have any pointers that I could try. I'd like to have my phonebook downloaded so I can use voice commands to call people.

Thanks to anyone for ANY advise.

Leaving auto download of contacts on has been an issue for many MFT versions, if not all. Just download them manually every so often if you're adding some and you should be fine.

Back