MFT - Why does my album art disappear? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT - Why does my album art disappear?

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Wayne, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
OK. Why is it when I use an SD card or USB stick or iPod (via usb) for music, my album art "disappears" after a day or so. Every time. I put a few gigs of (properly tagged) music on a portable device, MFT indexes it, and when it's done the album art displays as you would expect. Then maybe a day or two later, the art is no longer displayed. None of it. Even for tracks that I know it was displaying for earlier. I can force a re-index but it doesn't help. The only way to get the art back it to erase and completely re-load the media or device, and the the art is displayed again...for a day or two until it just disappears again. Over and over and over.

It has nothing to do with gracenotes. That's off. The tracks are properly tagged and art displays properly in every other media player I've ever used. If it never displayed in MFT, OK. But to display for awhile and then disappear? WTH. Any ideas?

This is just one (and probably the smallest) of the MFT issues that I have that make me want to smash it with a hammer. It's driving me insane, this thing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No way around it....

We are in serious need of a major software update/repair.

Stunned - dont forget to update the MFT issues thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318057

Cory has agreed to send the list to the Sync team. That way it will get fixed (or at least Ford will know about it).

Logan - remember to do the same - it seems you've been having some major issues lately and it would be a shame if they were not properly addressed (at some point) ..... I would agree that we need a software release soon.

StunnedMonkey, I’ve sent the information on your issue to be researched and I’ll be posting any available details when I get a response.

Loganfilm, I know your case was escalated but please let me know via PM if there is a better time or phone number you would like to be contacted about your issues.

jrmexplorer, thank you again for the helpful recommendation.

Cory

StunnedMonkey, I’ve sent the information on your issue to be researched and I’ll be posting any available details when I get a response.
Cory

Thanks Cory. I was wondering, is there a limit (and I'm sure there is) on how many tracks can be indexed? I though that I read on sync my ride that it was something like 10,000. Now in my case I don't have 10,000 tracks on any of these individual devices, but I have been experimenting with different devices to see what works best...ie, Zune, old iPhone, USB stick, SD card. These aren't plugged in at the same time or anything, but I'm wondering if it's maintaining this info after the devices are taken out, and the total tracks across all of these devices I'm trying are filling up the storage space, and that's causing my issue?

Just a thought. Not sure if that even makes sense.

Thanks Cory. I was wondering, is there a limit (and I'm sure there is) on how many tracks can be indexed? I though that I read on sync my ride that it was something like 10,000. Now in my case I don't have 10,000 tracks on any of these individual devices, but I have been experimenting with different devices to see what works best...ie, Zune, old iPhone, USB stick, SD card. These aren't plugged in at the same time or anything, but I'm wondering if it's maintaining this info after the devices are taken out, and the total tracks across all of these devices I'm trying are filling up the storage space, and that's causing my issue?

Just a thought. Not sure if that even makes sense.
You’re welcome! That question makes perfect sense and I forwarded it to be researched as well. I’ll let you know what I find out.

Cory

OK. Why is it when I use an SD card or USB stick or iPod (via usb) for music, my album art "disappears" after a day or so. Every time. I put a few gigs of (properly tagged) music on a portable device, MFT indexes it, and when it's done the album art displays as you would expect. Then maybe a day or two later, the art is no longer displayed. None of it. Even for tracks that I know it was displaying for earlier. I can force a re-index but it doesn't help. The only way to get the art back it to erase and completely re-load the media or device, and the the art is displayed again...for a day or two until it just disappears again. Over and over and over.

It has nothing to do with gracenotes. That's off. The tracks are properly tagged and art displays properly in every other media player I've ever used. If it never displayed in MFT, OK. But to display for awhile and then disappear? WTH. Any ideas?

This is just one (and probably the smallest) of the MFT issues that I have that make me want to smash it with a hammer. It's driving me insane, this thing.
I looked into this and found that it’s been seen in specific scenarios on USB/SD cards (not iPods, yet) where this occurs, and the reason why is due to the size of the album art being too large for SYNC to render. The reason why it hasn’t seen this on an iPod is because iTunes will automatically size the cover art for the device, unless you specifically tell it not to. Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Cory

I looked into this and found that it’s been seen in specific scenarios on USB/SD cards (not iPods, yet) where this occurs, and the reason why is due to the size of the album art being too large for SYNC to render. The reason why it hasn’t seen this on an iPod is because iTunes will automatically size the cover art for the device, unless you specifically tell it not to. Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Cory

Not sure that was my issue, since the same behavior occurred on my iPhone as well. Plus, it would all display for awhile, then all disappear. Wouldn't think that art being too large to render would render for awhile before not rendering anymore.

I will update to say that since my last full reset last week I've had no problems with this anymore. About 40 gb of music (~6000 tracks) on a single USB thumb drive. Art has been flawless. The difference I think is that this time I started with a fully populated drive, indexed it, and have introduced no other USB or SD devices. Voice commands are working well also, which had been a problem as well.

My guess is that I was merely trying to introduce too many different devices with too many total tracks for MFT to properly keep track of. Other than MFT occasionally losing the BT audio connection to my iPhone, I've been pleased with MFT since the last reset. Knock wood. ;)

...I will update to say that since my last full reset last week I've had no problems with this anymore. About 40 gb of music (~6000 tracks) on a single USB thumb drive. Art has been flawless. The difference I think is that this time I started with a fully populated drive, indexed it, and have introduced no other USB or SD devices. Voice commands are working well also, which had been a problem as well.

My guess is that I was merely trying to introduce too many different devices with too many total tracks for MFT to properly keep track of. Other than MFT occasionally losing the BT audio connection to my iPhone, I've been pleased with MFT since the last reset. Knock wood. ;)
I’m glad that it’s working for you now! Please let me know if you run into any other issues. Also, feel free to call the SYNC Support team (800-392-3673 - Option 1 then 3) for live troubleshooting with an agent over the phone.

Cory

Back