Michelin LTX A/T | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Michelin LTX A/T

Well, it's about time to replace the tires (Dunlop Radial Rover AT LT 235/75 R15) on my '93 Eddie Bauer. I've pretty much settled on the Michelin LTX A/T (again, LT 235/75 SR15) and just wanted to know if anyone has/had them on their 'Splorer and had an opinion on them. I've seen a lot of Explorers with the LTX M/S', but they're kind of puny for my taste/applications. Any horrible flaws (a la Firestone...) I should know about? :D

Thanks,
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by FlyAU
Well, it's about time to replace the tires (Dunlop Radial Rover AT LT 235/75 R15) on my '93 Eddie Bauer. I've pretty much settled on the Michelin LTX A/T (again, LT 235/75 SR15) and just wanted to know if anyone has/had them on their 'Splorer and had an opinion on them. I've seen a lot of Explorers with the LTX M/S', but they're kind of puny for my taste/applications. Any horrible flaws (a la Firestone...) I should know about? :D

Thanks,
Matt

I put 265 75R16 LTX A/Ts on my '97 about a month ago. I did some off-roading two weeks ago. My Michelins never gave me a bit of trouble and performed better than my Firestone Wilderness ATs ever did. They never slipped, even when going up a fairly steep road covered with baseball sized rocks. My Firestones slipped constantly, even when new. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

GREAT tire on road in dry, wet, super wet and snowy conditions. And, they will last easily about 70 kmls. Not so good off-road, but you can live with it.

I've had these tires on for about 2 months and right after I bought them I took a trip from Phoenix to Denver. They rode really smooth and performed pretty well off-road (It wasn't very extreme off-roading). All in all I'm extremely pleased with them and without a doubt will buy them again.

I love my Michelin LTX AT's! i put 31 10.50's with a 1.5" lift. I have had them since February, They are awsome on road as well as off. At first I was skeptical so I took them on the tahoe side of the rubicon and lowered the air down to about 14 or 15 lbs. I tried to damaged the sidewalls as much as I could, but they didn't recieve any damage. I like them better than my last set of bfg's! I highly recommend them to anyone who does a lot of highway driving and goes fourwheeling on the weekends.

Consumer Reports

...rates the BF Goodrich Long Trail T/As No.1 in their product update section for SUV tires (August 2000 issue). Bridgestone Dueler H/L scored 2nd. Yokohama Geolander H/T scored third. Michelin LTX M/S scored fourth. Dunlop, Cooper, then Goodyear Wrangler RF-A dead last. The BF Goodrich Long Trail's had also previously been scored first in the November 1999 issue. The Michelins scored only good on dry braking, emergency handling and snow traction (not VG or EX).

I don't know if you're interested but there are many threads in the archives here on tires (especially Firestones!!!).

Notice how they did not test the A/T's?
They are two totally different tires.

Back