• Register Today It's free!

Michelin Tires

Hammertime3

Reaction score
City, State
Seaford, De
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
What can I expect from the Michelin tires on my '13 Exlporer? Seem to ride OK, but what about mileage. Local tire dealer said to look for 50-60K out of them. They get rotated every oil change.

Bob Allen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What can I expect from the Michelin tires on my '13 Exlporer? Seem to ride OK, but what about mileage. Local tire dealer said to look for 50-60K out of them. They get rotated every oil change.

Bob Allen
A lot would depend upon how you drive. Usually OEM tires are not built for high mileage but for quietness and comfort to help sell the vehicle they are on. I think 60K may be pushing it. I also rotate the tires twice a year when I change the Winter/All season tires. I insist they only be rotated front to back and not crossed.
With my current driving, the tire's 'Best Before Date' may arrive before the tread wears down.:D

Peter

Not sure on the michelins but with the factory tires, I'll have 40,000 on them tomorrow with 5-6mm left on each one. I'll have 53-55,000 miles on them before I change them out.

I rotate my tires every 5,000 miles. I feel it is even more important to do this on a vehicle such as our Explorers.

On prior Explores with Michelin tires (Cross Country model), they lasted about 40,000 miles. Great tires, but wet traction went away the last several thousand miles.

On my 2011 Limited, I go just over 55,000 miles on the Hankooks. Replaced them a little early (maybe could have done another 5,000 miles) but I wanted fresh tread for the pending winter.

Not sure on the michelins but with the factory tires, I'll have 40,000 on them tomorrow with 5-6mm left on each one. I'll have 53-55,000 miles on them before I change them out.

Same here. I'm about 300 miles shy of 40,000 and tires are still holding up incredibly well. I think they'll last to about 55k like blwnsmoke says :thumbsup:

What brand were your "factory" tires? Mine came from the factory with the Michelins on.

With my current driving, the tire's 'Best Before Date' may arrive before the tread wears down.:D

Peter

I have a set of Michelin X-Ice tires (different vehicle) that are on their 7th winter. They have plenty of tread left but their winter performance has considerably dropped. They are probably equivalent to a mid-grade all season tire now.

I'm going to continue to run them through the summer and replace them before next winter.

What brand were your "factory" tires? Mine came from the factory with the Michelins on.
The Limiteds come with the Hankooks, the XLT with the Michelin and I forget what the Base model comes with. I think it is Goodyear. If you order the optional 20" wheel then I believe it will come with the Hankook tire as well.

Peter

^^ The Sport have the Hankook Optimo h426 I believe as well.

^^ The Sport have the Hankook Optimo h426 I believe as well.
Not sure what make the optional Sport 265/45ZR20 Summer tire is.

Peter

My 02 MDX that I am replacing with a 13 Limited on order is on its second set of Michelin Cross Country OE. I have over 150k miles on the MDX and rotated them every oil change. Realistically they should have been changed 10k ago but not wasting the money with a new truck on the way. Overall EXCELLENT tire that I got over 70k a set.

The Limiteds come with the Hankooks, the XLT with the Michelin and I forget what the Base model comes with. I think it is Goodyear. If you order the optional 20" wheel then I believe it will come with the Hankook tire as well.

Peter

My 2013 Limited with 20"s came with the Hankook 255/50R20 H426

I have the Michelin's. I only drive with them in the summer, as I have a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks mounted on 17" rims to run in the winter. Mine have maybe 20k on them. When I put them on for the summer 2 weeks ago, I noticed that they are starting to crack around both the tread and the bead near the wheel.

Edited.. error in posting.

traded in my 2011 Ex with 65k plus still had not reached the wear bars had 6mm left that is what was measured at the oil change when I ordered the 2015 I ran 40 psi the whole time better fuel mileage less wear the Michelins were great

Over the last two years 35% of our city streets have been concreted. No more asphalt. What sort of mileage can I expect. Or, how will this affect the life/usage of tires?

No concrete highways here that I know of. I'm guessing that concrete may be a bit harder on tire wear than asphalt. Don't know for sure though.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A lot would depend upon how you drive. Usually OEM tires are not built for high mileage but for quietness and comfort to help sell the vehicle they are on. I think 60K may be pushing it. I also rotate the tires twice a year when I change the Winter/All season tires. I insist they only be rotated front to back and not crossed.

Peter

peter, just wondering what is the advantage of rotating the tire front to back rather that the recommended cross. i had replace my tire with Michelin and have it rotate in the dealer n the last service. the technician told me that they usually rotate the tire front to back not cross, but i insist to rotate my tires front crossed as per as manual recommended for FWD.

Back