Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
..It's very rare for me to say I found something that "I Must have" but this is it...At least for a while..:D

PPS = Personal Power Supply

..Just imagine...Something weighing only 14 oz. that can jump start a v8 truck multiple times, run your laptop, and power your cellphone and Ipad too..It is a mere 6"x2.8"x1" in size and can hold a charge up to a year..:eek:

This is made by Anti-Gravity batteries and comes with multiple device tips, jumper cables, wall and 12v car lighter plug, a built in flash light and a carry case..

..This is the latest and greatest model and it is everything I've been looking for, for both offroading with the trucks and even as a power supply for my long bikepacking trips...(There is another trimmed down version, the XP-3 PPS)..

..I've actually seen both of these models used in a 15 bay, BMW and Porsche repair shop as their main jumper for dead batteries..:biggthump

..If this is enough to stir your curiosity, here is some reading for the meantime..:popcorn:

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/p3125...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJCmysOS1LoCFSZBQgod0XEAQA

..Or if you just want to watch a video of it jump starting Ducati's or V6 trucks multiple times, this will hold you over..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty cool. I am still a bit skeptical though. So I nerded out a little on the numbers below.

They claim 7 cell phone charges, and 2 laptop charges. As a result I would estimate capacity at around 7000mAh, which makes sense for a Lithium Polymer of that size. Continuous discharge rating for a pack at that price point is likely to be under 40C, more likely to be 20C but I'll compromise and say 30C. That is rougly 210 amps continuous ability, and if we assume a 60C burst rating then that is 420 amps burst.

From what I have read, starting a typical V8 will be around a 250 amp draw. In theory this battery pack, if good quality, should handle the load.

HOWEVER, the pictures appear to show the use of an EC3 connector for the gator clips, with what appears to be 12 gauge wire. EC3s are typically rated for 60A continuous, and 12ga wire about the same in a short run. Jump starts will be very hard on these connectors and wires if the vehicle's battery is flat.

Ultimately I'd say it's a good idea, good use of the tech, but personally I wouldn't use it for a shop tool as I wouldn't expect it to hold up to regular abuse from fullsize vehicles. Have had too many bad experiences with lithium batteries to blindly trust in their durability. That said, it would be good for taking along on expeditions (vehicular or otherwise).

..Today I'm going to do a laptop test just to see what kind of time I could leave the laptop on for..:popcorn:

..My laptop test worked..

..I got 3.25 hours running my Samsung Netbook N130 at5 light to moderate usage while the battery was in a full state to begin with..That also means after the depletion of the XP-1, I will have another 2-1/2 to 3 1/2 hours of runtime on my Netbook (laptop)..:biggthump

..Yesterday it took 2 hours total to charge the XP-1 to full capacity as it was shipped in a 50% charged state..

Tomorrow, I will see how long it takes to recharge from a full drain..:popcorn:

12 volt charge test

..My initial thoughts are this will take about 4-5 hours to fully charge the XP-1 (on either 110 or 12 volt) based on it taking 2 hours to charge up from 50% yesterday..:scratch:

..I decided since I was working today that I would charge the XP-1 in my truck with the 12v cord..

..After 4 hours the first of five led lights was still blinking so I ruled this was not charging..

..My thoughts are the unit has safety features and since I had been in and out of the truck numerous times while the XP-1 was charging, I decided to check the truck battery voltage which was at 12.5 volts..

..I'm thinking one of the features is that during 12v charge it needs to have above 12.5 volts to charge properly..:dunno:

..This is one of the questions I'll follow up later with the manuf..

..I forgot to update that it took 3.75 hours to charge it from completely empty to full charge on 110v household receptacle..

.I need to try again when I get a chance to charge it using the 12v in the truck, this time in the X..Since it has dual batteries I can better keep an eye on it and test it with two different options in the same truck..

..The reason I think it may not have charged in the Ranger was due to the Ranger recently being worked on and I may not have got a good enough "bite" on the battery cables when I reconnected them..:scratch:

I did get to use it last nightwhile camping...

I got to watch the latest episode of NCIS while charging my phone while in the tent..kinda cool..:popcorn:

Another PPS review

Another PPS review...

While doing some last minute upgrades to the Van before Truckhaven I ended up needing to jump start the 460 in the van.. So, I did a quick review and showing how much charge the smaller xp-3 still has after being stored for 4 months and being used once and again after being used a 2nd time to start that big 'ol 7.5l.

I didn't get it on camera but the battery was at 11.5V when it wouldn't start. That means it was just boosting a really low battery, not a dead battery. According to the charts on the 'net it still had 10%-20% capacity.

When I first got it I used it to start a Dodge 440 ci engine without a battery.. These things are more power than you would think... Although the cables were warm after that first test. After that test I recharged it and put it on the bike. Since then it has sat for 4 months and has started a 4.0l and the 7.5l and is currently being charged before I toss it back on the bike.

~Mark

Back