Middle Row Bench and XLT 202A | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Middle Row Bench and XLT 202A

cbFL

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
So looking at the order guides posted on this forum, as well as the build & price tool, it appears if Platinum is out of your able or willing price range, you still have to get at least the 202A option group to be able to add in the bench seat option (17U).

Well that option group is $5,140 MSRP ($4,140 after option group discount), and all that it seems to add is this (according to what I can find in the order guide and B&P tool):
  • 8-Way Power Passenger Seats (includes Power Lumbar and Power Recline)
  • ActiveX™ Seating Material
  • LED Fog Lamps with Skid Plate Elements, Front — Silver-Painted
  • Remote Start System
I don't want to gripe with my first post here, but I am sincerely incredulous that Ford is asking so much money for a couple extra servos in the passenger seat (XLT base is already 4-way power), imitation leather, couple lights and a trim piece, and remote start. Am I missing something here; do you actually get any other equipment with that package group?

I really need three seats in the middle (with three children, having at least one always forced to the third row is impractical). But it's extremely frustrating to have to price the vehicle up so much just to be able to add the middle bench.

In Alex on Auto's "2020 Ford Explorer 2.3L Review | Base Engine Perfection" (YouTube, at time 7:24), he does claim, "Ford told me that at the moment it may not be possible to add the second row bench seat on the online configurator in some trims, but that that will be coming soon". Does anybody here know if there's truth to that, and/or if it will include the base XLT?

Other than the difficulty in getting 7 passenger seating, I really like what I've seen about the 2020, so I really hope Ford fixes this situation.

As a side note (sorry for more gripes), just as comparison, my wife's 2016 Murano SV (which is one trim up from the bottom) has remote start, and so have cheaper cars I've owned. It's sort of insult to injury that something that should be standard in today's market at the XLT's price level is bundled with such a high-priced package.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
A 2nd row bench will apparently be available as a $495 option on the ST. Not sure when that will be or if it will also be available for the other trims that currently don't have them.

Peter

A 2nd row bench will apparently be available as a $495 option on the ST. Not sure when that will be or if it will also be available for the other trims that currently don't have them.

Peter

Cool, thank you. The ST might make me rethink how much I'm willing to spend :).

Peter

Pls let this be accurate. I gotta have a second row bench, and really want the ST...but can't buy one with the second row buckets.

Pls let this be accurate. I gotta have a second row bench, and really want the ST...but can't buy one with the second row buckets.
It is mentioned in the video linked above in post #4. I believe it was toward the end.

Peter

So just a thought... pricing out the Aviator...you can get the same drivetrain as the ST for as little as $54,695 MSRP (including AWD option and delivery), and that's with middle bench seat. That's compared to an MSRP w/ delivery and predicted bench seat option of $56,330.

Now I have no idea how different the braking and handling aspects are going to be vs. the Explorer ST, and you do lose a little in the third row from that sloping roof. Also, you'd have to go up to at least the "Reserve" to be able to get a towing package. With AWD + tow package + delivery, that's $60,295, and it has a no-charge middle bench option. Also, there's no CoPilot 360+ (adaptive cruise control caught my eye) or ventilated front seats (never had it, but sounds great here in Florida) on the Lincoln at that price, though.

So just a thought... pricing out the Aviator...you can get the same drivetrain as the ST for as little as $54,695 MSRP (including AWD option and delivery), and that's with middle bench seat. That's compared to an MSRP w/ delivery and predicted bench seat option of $56,330.

Now I have no idea how different the braking and handling aspects are going to be vs. the Explorer ST, and you do lose a little in the third row from that sloping roof. Also, you'd have to go up to at least the "Reserve" to be able to get a towing package. With AWD + tow package + delivery, that's $60,295, and it has a no-charge middle bench option. Also, there's no CoPilot 360+ (adaptive cruise control caught my eye) or ventilated front seats (never had it, but sounds great here in Florida) on the Lincoln at that price, though.

If you are going to compare the Aviator and Explorer ST, then you need the Reserve 1 package for same type of features that are Standard with the ST which puts you at much more then the ST (if I recall, about $7k more).

Now I have no idea how different the braking and handling aspects are going to be vs. the Explorer ST.........................
See the link in this post; 2020 reviews are starting to roll in

Peter

Cool, thank you. The ST might make me rethink how much I'm willing to spend :).
Now that Build & Price is available in Canada, I can confirm that the 2nd row bench is a $500 option on both the Canadian XLT and ST.

Peter

Back