Mig welder question. | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Mig welder question.

I was at the hardware store tonight and i found a mig welder, and apparently it dose not need any kind of shielding gas. Any one have any experience with this type of welder?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Drednaut

Reaction score
City, State
Wayne, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 eddie bauer 94 navajo
its a mig that uses flux core wire
the welds hold but are not pretty flux core spatters alot compared to a gas mig

davidhicks16

Reaction score
City, State
oreana il
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
so no good for body work than

Drednaut

Reaction score
City, State
Wayne, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 eddie bauer 94 navajo
its fine if you gunna grind them down or if there gunna be out of sight but there not pretty welds and if your looking at one at a hard wear store you might wanna just go with a harbor freight one and get the 2 year warrenty with it

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Its no good for body unless all you want is spot welds - the process you described (gassless) is called flux core arc welding (FCAW). The reason why FCAW no good for most body work (unless again, all you do is spot welding) is because it runs "direct current, electrode negative" (DCEN), which means electrons are transferring from the "torch" to the metal and therefore, the metal you're trying to weld gets too hot too quickly - which results in holes.

On the other hand, metal inert gas (MIG) which requires shielding gas, can be run "electrode positive" (DCEP) which puts less heat on the part - much like in a TIG. DCEP then gives you more time and therefore more control of the weld puddle before it blows through.

Now having said all that, some FCAW welders can be converted to run MIG with a kit. The little Hobart Handler 135 my brother and I used to build his Samurai for example, is one of such machines. In addition, I keep mentioning "unless all you want is spot welding" because we did use the Hobart Handler running FCAW to pretty much repair the floor boards on a 56 Chevy. The welds werent pretty of course (they were all spot) but it held. So yes, in a pinch FCAW will work on body but if you want to up the level of craftsmanship/quality a bit, then you probably want to look at a MIG.

Mounty 09

Reaction score
City, State
Nothern IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
I have the Hobart 125ez and have done a little body work with it (replaced my rockers on my mountaineer). It didn't do a bad job there was just some clean up to do afterwords and you had to be really careful not to burn through. I think the Hobart 125 you can swap to gas. Kinda wishing I got that one instead for later down the road when I want gas.

jtmx101

Reaction score
City, State
Shreveport, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLS 4X4
I have a lincoln welder, and I have the option to run it without has, it makes to much splatter for layin down beads for my taste, but it can look descent if you ar good with a grinder, its ok for tack welds though