• Register Today It's free!

Might be picking up an 01 Mounty

Skydmark1

Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mountaineer
I'm going to look at a 2001 Mountaineer tomorrow morning. It's a 2001 AWD with the 5.0 V8. The guy says it needs some rocker rust repair, a couple of tires and a gas cap. Other than that he claims that it runs good and is pretty solid. I think he's hard up for cash cause he's offering it up to me for a $1000.

That being said, where are the trouble spots I should be looking for? I had a 99 Explorer with the SOHC 4.0 but it was really solid. Here in NH we have plenty of rust, where are the weak spots on these things?

Any advice before I go look at it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really no particular issues with the V8's. Water pump replacement can be a PITA and the AWD can have problems with the viscous coupling in the t-case. Make sure the front drive shaft hasn't been removed. Make sure all the tires are the same size and preferably the same make/model. Tire diameter is critical to keeping the viscous coupling healthy. Take it for a good test drive and don't believe anything the seller tells you. Check for yourself. The V8's and V6's share many of the same parts and suffer from the same weak points, but the 5.0 and its transmission are fairly bullet proof. We've got four 5.0 V8's in my family, all with 200k or more and they all run great.

yea that rocker rust is an issue and its not too easily fixable. I just bought my 5.0 recently. That has no rust on it. I just put on a cold air intake and a catback exhaust to make it breathe a lot better. I have put on about 2,000 miles and haven't seen anything majorly different other than the more power and better sound versus the 4.0

I see a few places that have precut rockers so I'll probably just cut out the rusty part and install the new rockers.....bondo and paint with some rustoleom bedliner and that should get me at least a few years no problem

Really no particular issues with the V8's. Water pump replacement can be a PITA and the AWD can have problems with the viscous coupling in the t-case. Make sure the front drive shaft hasn't been removed. Make sure all the tires are the same size and preferably the same make/model. Tire diameter is critical to keeping the viscous coupling healthy. Take it for a good test drive and don't believe anything the seller tells you. Check for yourself. The V8's and V6's share many of the same parts and suffer from the same weak points, but the 5.0 and its transmission are fairly bullet proof. We've got four 5.0 V8's in my family, all with 200k or more and they all run great.

Got my 2001 mounty v8 5.0 6 months ago with 265,000 miles on it on running strong so far no problems and get 20/21 on the freeway with a/c full blast

Well, I picked it up for $900. Needs some rust work but otherwise is pretty solid

As already stated, rocker panels are by far the worst part on a lot of these. Alot of people here prefer the 5.0L V8 over the 4.0L v6's because of the timing chain problems on the v6s.. Also check the rear springs/etc, salt will eat away at them.
Also nice to see another new englander!

As already stated, rocker panels are by far the worst part on a lot of these. Alot of people here prefer the 5.0L V8 over the 4.0L v6's because of the timing chain problems on the v6s.. Also check the rear springs/etc, salt will eat away at them.
Also nice to see another new englander!

Good tip about the rear spring shackles. They tend to disintegrate in snow belt areas where salt is used on the roads. This isn't just a V8 issue though.

Good tip about the rear spring shackles. They tend to disintegrate in snow belt areas where salt is used on the roads. This isn't just a V8 issue though.

I was just saying it as a general rule with these :D

Great deal, I'm happy with mine. I would not part mine for under 3500$, it's never lived out of Florida and is perfect.

I had checked out the rear spring areas when I went to see it. The passenger side one is pretty scaly but still seems solid. Planning for longer shackles and a TT to clear 31's comfortable anyway.

A couple of pictures the night I got it home. My daughter seems to like the moonroof

LKp9xj4.jpg

rxAuRY0.jpg

Looks pretty decent. Also looks like someone put an Explorer door on the front passenger side, judging from the trim. Best of luck with it!

How bad was the rust on the rockers? They're always a PITA with these things (I know, live in Rhode Island, go to school in Vermont) up here in the winter. If it's just surface rust then I'd take care of that ASAP

yep, has an exploreer door on it. I plan to take all that plastic molding off so hopefully it wont be as noticeable when I'm done. The rockers are toast, thats first on the list.

Back