Might buy an '87 BII | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Might buy an '87 BII

X6StringerX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
I was browsing through the local classifieds this evening and one of the ads caught my eye. I don't recall the EXACT wording of the ad, but it was something to this extent:

1987 Ford Bronco II, 6" life, 35" tires, would make nice hunting vehicle $600

The part about it being a nice hunting vehicle leads me to believe the body is probably rough. I can deal with dents because it would be used for off-roading, but if its rusted out, I'll pass. Then again, it might have a good body. It was too late to call the owner to find out more details. Not sure of any of the specifics... engine, tranny, gears, etc.

I just thought I would share this info. Maybe some of you guys could be of some help if I decide to go take a look at it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Absolutly. Check it out and give us a shout.
That hunting part, that might be equivelant to a Handy mans special when looking at houses to buy. So look close.

Hey if you just happen to find a good set of antlers in the back, something along the lines of a 20" inside spread 10 point with really tall tines. I'll gladly take them off your hands. I'll even pay for shipping. LOL

check under the rear liftgate, under the brake lights for rust

check the rocker panels, inside the rear wheel wells

check the firewall where it meets the cab (behind the front fender liners, below brake booster, near e brake pedal, same on pass side)

these are the first places to rust out on the BII

Also if the body has been really twisted off road you may find the windshiled leaks and you should look for rust along the raingutters with the doors open. Rust in these posts = SUCKS to repair the pillars and also points to a body that has seen alot of abuse

Expect to see some rust, I mean a 87 is 20 years young now.....but there are still plenty of $4-600 BII's out there that are pretty straight, not sure how many are on 35's! 35's = can snap the front dana 28 like a twig and the rear 7.5 will not last forever :)

If I find antlers like that, THEY'RE MINE.

I'll even make up a good story to go along with them, haha... j/k... maybe.

Thanks for the info. Thats the kind of info I was looking for. Aside from all of the normal stuff you check on every vehicle, every vehicle also seems to have a few area that need a little extra attention. I tried to call the guy today, but nobody is home. I'll try again later.

check the gears too, if it has 3.73 or 3.55 gears with 35's ans an auto trans the trans will/has suffered big time

check the gears too, if it has 3.73 or 3.55 gears with 35's ans an auto trans the trans will/has suffered big time

You just never stop amazing me :salute:

Back