mileage display not very bright | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mileage display not very bright

wickedme45

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
is there a fix for the cluster? some times its fine sometimes you cant see it mostly during the day

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fix (according to Ford) is replacing it. There was a poor connection on the board somewhere. Most common to see in 2002 models.

Same problem here. I finally tore into it this evening. Took me about 1.5 hrs to fix it. would only take me about 45 min if I had to do it again. There are 4 resistors that are on the cluster board that looked bad. I re-soldered them since at least one joint looked weak. What do you know, it is back to original brightness. The bad joint was creating a lot of resistance and as a result a lot of heat. Replacing the solder should correct that. We'll see how long it will last. Here are a few pics I took. Take the cluster out, unscrew the black panel on the rear exposing the circuit board. the board just lifts off the rest of the cluster but a ribbon cable is still connected to it. You don't really need to remove the circuit board but I did trying to find the bad area but now I know I did not need to waste my time doing that. I also took the opportunity to remove the clear plastic and clean up the dust from inside the cluster. Here are a few pics. If it goes out again I will probably buy new resistors and try replacing those...what do I have to lose by doing that.
Cluster1.png

Cluster3.png

Cluster.png

The circles are the back sides of the resistors. The arrow is the joint that I think was the problem. I replaced most of the solder joints anyway, just to be safe.
Cluster5.png

Great post! I just took off my cluster to bring it to a friend who is a better welder than me. Can I drive my truck like that for a few day whitout broking or shorting anything????

Great post! I just took off my cluster to bring it to a friend who is a better welder than me. Can I drive my truck like that for a few day whitout broking or shorting anything????
I'm not sure that the truck will start without the cluster installed. I'm pretty sure it will not.

Well, just got home from a 2,000 mi road trip and no problems. Even in 100+ heat they display looked bright. I'm happy. As a bonus, I cleaned all the dust out of the cluster when I pulled it out so it looks new.

hi, i have a 02 XLS and the 4x4 lights on the dash dont work or the push button 4x4 lights...is there a way to fix this so they work or do i have to replace the whole cluster...

Great post & luv the pics. You would think that Ford would have learned their lesson, since this reminds me of the old "resistor/power supply" problem in those old '97 - '01 dual tape/cd disc radios, where the radio display went dead. And my '02 has a dim display with headlights off during the day.

Just did this today. Awesome! I love having my LED Display working again. Thanks Denny347, for the pics and the procedure for re-soldering the cold joints. :thumbsup::thumbsup: I followed the instructions in this thread for removing the instrument cluster, thanks XtremeRanger for the awesome write up!: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218636

No problem. Just fyi, the readout is still just as bright 2 years later.

No problem. Just fyi, the readout is still just as bright 2 years later.

I didn't have a problem with it being too dim. My problem was that it would work intermittently, some times it wouldn't even display, most of the time when it was displayed it wouldn't update the mileage & compass. It's nice to have it working like it should. Thanks again. ;)

Thanks Denny for your post. I wished I had looked at those resistors when I had all that tore out the two times looking for a problem.

Thanks Denny for your post. I wished I had looked at those resistors when I had all that tore out the two times looking for a problem.

The area around the 4 resistors on my cluster looked exactly like the ones in the picture by Denny. I knew that was my problem. I re-soldered the resistors and so-far-so-good, knock on wood. I got the 30 watt pencil soldering iron at walmart for $10. It came with the rosin core solder. Got the Ex in February and had been meaning to fix the display since then. It was driving me nuts. It's nice to have it working properly.

Dammit! Would have been nice if the year model was posted in here on these clusters.:mad:

I tore all that out for nothing.

Well here is how a '02 is made.

IMG_3663.jpg

I thought these were all '02 clusters. Yours looks different.

Dammit! Would have been nice if the year model was posted in here on these clusters.:mad:

I tore all that out for nothing.

Well here is how a '02 is made.

IMG_3663.jpg

I disagree. I have an '02 and mine looks exactly like Denny347's picture in post #3. You don't happen to have a Sport Trac or a Sport, do you? This is the '02-'05 Explorer - Mountaineer Forum. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum. :dunno:

What do you mean its not out of a '02?

Its in this ya goofball.
eddie1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you mean its not out of a '02?

Its in this ya goofball.

I think you misunderstood. I didn't say that you don't have an '02. I was asking if you had a sport trac or a sport since these are different from the 4-doors. I have an '02 and my cluster is exactly like the picture in post #3. That's all. No harm intended.

Back