mileage display not very bright | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mileage display not very bright

The area around the 4 resistors on my cluster looked exactly like the ones in the picture by Denny. I knew that was my problem. I re-soldered the resistors and so-far-so-good, knock on wood. I got the 30 watt pencil soldering iron at walmart for $10. It came with the rosin core solder. Got the Ex in February and had been meaning to fix the display since then. It was driving me nuts. It's nice to have it working properly.

OK I'm no master solderer or welder but I was always told that simply replacing solder does not necessarily "fix" anything because solder is not a conductor of electricity. My serious question is do I bend the end of the resistors so they are touching the green side of the board or will the fit be snug enough that when the old solder is gone there will be contact already and the new solder is simply holding it in place? Thanks for any advice in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you mean its not out of a '02?

Its in this ya goofball.
eddie1.jpg

Looks exactly like mine bug shield and all. Nice looking vehicle! ;)

OK I'm no master solderer or welder but I was always told that simply replacing solder does not necessarily "fix" anything because solder is not a conductor of electricity. My serious question is do I bend the end of the resistors so they are touching the green side of the board or will the fit be snug enough that when the old solder is gone there will be contact already and the new solder is simply holding it in place? Thanks for any advice in advance.

Solder is a metal and a conductor. Resoldering bad connections is a great way to fix electrical problems.
If all the solder did was hold the part in place they could just glue it on. BTW the green stuff on the board is an insulating coating to keep the copper traces from corroding.

Solder is a metal and a conductor. Resoldering bad connections is a great way to fix electrical problems.
If all the solder did was hold the part in place they could just glue it on. BTW the green stuff on the board is an insulating coating to keep the copper traces from corroding.

I concur! :)

It didn't make sense to me either, but I never had the need to solder anything, so never researched it before.

That's why I love this forum. The information is spot on and people know their ****. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to tackling this task and will update with results!

We change the resistors. Work like new. I'l give some feedback in a few month.

I know they'll say on them, but what resisitors are these exactly, so I know to get the right ones if I decide or need to replace? Thanks in advance for any info!

Great Post, followed the instruction and solved my son's 2002 Explorer Odometer display gone.

Just picked up an 02 on the weekend for a very good price has a couple problems and this is one of them... Love this place... I will be fixing this and the air bag light too...
Thanks all...

So I pulled mine apart and it was just like 34ford's cluster. mine is a canadian truck so I wonder if this is a differance. the resistors are there but not loose.. I did find a burn mark on the face of the info center cluster. I'm guessing it is going to need a cluster...damn... At least I got the 6 stack cd player working...
Cheers Randy...

Oh and I did take pictures and I will post them soon...

Awesome post. Just fixed the odometer in my '02 Explorer using Denny347's instructions. Awesome!!!

My cluster looked like Denny347's. Found 2 bad connections in the resistor welds. Resoldered all of them just to make sure. Took about an hour start to finish and that included getting the tools out of the shed. FYI, you'll need a 7mm socket and a T15 torx...that's it. Oh, and a pencil soldering iron and flux.

I have the same problem. Display went out the second I drove it off the dealers lot! Gotta love how that happens. Anyways, I am hoping to do this project this weekend with positive results. Thanks in advance for the information!

Worked on it this morning with the help of my 4 year old son. Easy to do and works great! Denny347 and XtremeRanger, thank you so much for the great write up on this fix! Probally took about 60-90 mins including all the breaks and distractions. 4 of the soldier joints were non-existant but should hold for a while now.

Worked on it this morning with the help of my 4 year old son. Easy to do and works great! Denny347 and XtremeRanger, thank you so much for the great write up on this fix! Probally took about 60-90 mins including all the breaks and distractions. 4 of the soldier joints were non-existant but should hold for a while now.

Nicely done. Thanks for the update. :biggthump

Just fixed my display. No more whacking at console to get the mileage to show up. Found one loose joint that I could see right away. Longest part of the fix was waiting for the solder iron to heat up. Great pictures!

Just fixed my display. No more whacking at console to get the mileage to show up. Found one loose joint that I could see right away. Longest part of the fix was waiting for the solder iron to heat up. Great pictures!

I couldn't have said it any better! This part made me laugh:

:bsnicker:

Longest part of the fix was waiting for the solder iron to heat up.

I couldn't have said it any better! This part made me laugh:

:bsnicker:

LOL Thanks!:thumbsup:

So weird having it working now. I keep looking down at it while I drive...:D

LOL Thanks!:thumbsup:

So weird having it working now. I keep looking down at it while I drive...:D

I still do that, half expecting it to be out again but so far so good!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I too just wasted my time pulling this cluster out, I have the exact same one you do! 2002 Explorer! From what I see in the pics now, the one that was used here as an example doesn't have the message center and mine does, I guess that is the difference.

What do you mean its not out of a '02?

Its in this ya goofball.
eddie1.jpg

Back