• Register Today It's free!

Mileage on your PIU Odometer

VADeputy

Reaction score
City, State
Fred, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer PIU
Hey guys. Looking to see what some of your PIU mileage is. When you got it and what its at.

My personal piu 2016 bought at 60k. 92000 on the clock currently

We have a department issued transport 2014 PIU at 225k. Mostly on va highway. But thats the most i have seen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first one I bought had 85k on it when bought it at auction, in 1990. I delivered mail with it for about ten years, and sold it to a friend when it had 335k miles on it. Those old Crown Vics were tough, but the transmission went out at 212k, so I swapped in a 302/AOD with EFI, which ran even better than the 351W.

Hey guys. Looking to see what some of your PIU mileage is. When you got it and what its at.

My personal piu 2016 bought at 60k. 92000 on the clock currently

We have a department issued transport 2014 PIU at 225k. Mostly on va highway. But thats the most i have seen.
How does that piu drive with that many miles on it? Any major issues?

How does that piu drive with that many miles on it? Any major issues?
Still runs great. Original water pump as far as i know. Control arms probably should be replaced as there's a clunking noise in the front. Only service parts i have seen on the list were wheel bearings, spark plugs and ac motor. They maintain them regularly so all fluids have been changed including ptu and rear diff.

2013 with around 157k miles. Purchased in March.

2015 with 125K miles on odometer. 10,700 engine hours, of which 7,600 are idle hours.. that was a bit shocking to me - makes me wonder if engine has equivalent of 300k of use on it, as well as accessories and water pump..

seems to behave and drive well other than an aggressive engagement when first putting into reverse or drive and sometimes on the 1-2 up or downshift

changed oil, trans and PTU fluids - all seemed reasonably fresh and i had blackstone analysis' done on engine oil (no coolant in oil) and trans fluid (higher than normal levels of copper)- both results were that i should have no reason for alarm

2013, right around 100k when I get it last October. I forgot the exact engine hours but it should be around 10k in total (from county sheriff unit, probably more freeway driving)
Have a mechanics checked the engine and transmission and fluid, everything looks good.
The front axle and steering (control arm problem?) does make some noise and going to check that out when I have time. Other than that, it runs smoothly.

Got mine about 3 weeks ago. Runs alright so far. Has a few quirks I’m trying to work out but otherwise I’m enjoy it. 103k miles. 14.5k total hours, 10k idle

Have had mine for a couple as weeks as well. 2014 with 70K on odo, 1,580 hours, 277 idle hours. This was another Ford corporate vehicle that was never in actual fleet/LE service. Still making small tweaks as I go. Just finished adding backup camera into Sync 4" display last night.

How was installing the backup camera? I chickened out on doing the work and got a ZUS wireless backup camera.

How was installing the backup camera? I chickened out on doing the work and got a ZUS wireless backup camera.

I wanted to install wireless one at first, but figured out I have to run electric anyway (and I don’t like to tap it from the license plate). Instead I ran a wire from the lift gate and have the video signal sent to my aftermarket audio. The electric is from the rear 80A power point with new junction box installed (so I can add other stuff if needed). It is installed above the license plate (which is not a very good angle, compare to the OEM one), but still, it works.

Not bad. Hardest part was the cabling. Bought a cheap camera off EBay:
Dynamic Track Rear Night Vision Camera Parking Assistant Clear Picture Quality | eBay

Figured out wiring mostly from Jason's site:
FLVP Mods HOME PAGE

Got the Forscan figured out from a couple of the spreadsheets floating around.

I brought camera power all the way to the front and pulled from the 14 way connector under center stack (start/run).

Other than the zoom function not working, it is great.

135K purchased Dec. 7th, 2017
Currently 148K
Just had recall 19E02 performed.
Front and Rear Catalytic Converters
replaced at no charge along with ECU
reprogramming.

52 miles on delivery, about 12000 one year later

Making new thread: 2013 Explorer Interceptor Repairs

Back