• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

miles to empty problem

nathansmith50

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
2014 PIU

After using Forscan to turn off dark car mode and changing from uk gallons to us gallons and then back to uk gallons my miles to empty says approximately double what it actually should. With a full tank it says 680.

I've heard that it takes about 500 miles to learn but the fuel economy readings but I've been through about 4 tanks of gas since then(about 1200 miles) and it still does it.

Anyone have any idea what I might be able to correct in forscan? Or anything I can do?

I don't care much but it bothers my wife who is the primary driver.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Just curious why you want the Miles to Empty to read Imperial instead of U.S, gallons? An Imperial gallon has approximately 20% more volume than a U.S. gallon. So a full tank reads 680 kms to empty? Even that is high. I think the best I ever got was around 540 kms to empty in the Summer. I'm not sure why there should be a "relearn" period as it just a simple conversion.

Peter

nathansmith50

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
Just curious why you want the Miles to Empty to read Imperial instead of U.S, gallons? An Imperial gallon has approximately 20% more volume than a U.S. gallon. So a full tank reads 680 kms to empty? Even that is high. I think the best I ever got was around 540 kms to empty in the Summer. I'm not sure why there should be a "relearn" period as it just a simple conversion.

Peter
I just messed with it for a minute and then changed it back. And it isn’t km it is miles. So the best I can really hope for is 340 or so. I just want to know if it will learn and when or if I have to do something

nathansmith50

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU

Peter
I think I misread your message. I put it back to imperial because that’s what it was when we got it.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I think I misread your message. I put it back to imperial because that’s what it was when we got it.
Was the car previously from Canada or Mexico? There would otherwise be no reason to have the vehicle set up for the metric system. If so, just set it back to U.S. gallons. The U.S. doesn't use either the Metric system or Imperial system. It has its own U.S. Customary Units which is somewhat similar to Imperial and in some cases, identical.

Peter

nathansmith50

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
Was the car previously from Canada or Mexico? There would otherwise be no reason to have the vehicle set up for the metric system. If so, just set it back to U.S. gallons. The U.S. doesn't use either the Metric system or Imperial system. It has its own U.S. Customary Units which is somewhat similar to Imperial and in some cases, identical.

Peter
no it was a Michigan state police car. It reads in miles. It says miles per gallon it is just set for uk gallons maybe to bump the mpg? When changed to us gallons it is the same. Still says 6** miles to empty.