Military 101/Off Road Adventure Trailer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Military 101/Off Road Adventure Trailer

c97001fd-a99f-4754-af2b-984892919ba2.jpg

Well after a few years of wanting one of those military trailers that you see in the WW2 flics being towed behind a jeep, I finally got one. Not that particular one which is the M416 but one that I like better, the later model M101. It's a little larger, plus it's got a flip down tailgate. A lot of surface rust but structurally sound.
Only on spot that is rusted thru. Nothing I can't fix.

DSC04820.jpg

8' long 5' 5" wide with a Pintal hitch. You know it's tuff when you see the name Rockwell on that large jack in the corner. There's two of them but I'll use some lighter ones. Not going th throw away though.

DSC04819.jpg

The bed and frame are in great shape. Check out the leaf pack. Trailer rated at 3/4 ton.

DSC04823.jpg

Only makes sense that it has a military wrap leaf spring at ends. Nice safety feature.

DSC04812.jpg

16" rims with military 8 ply tires that are 35" tall :eek: Believe it or not, but there in great shape.
Love the way these trailers sit up so tall when being towed. In fact it may just sit level when hooked up to the Bronco. Of course the trailer will be paint satin black after some major sanding and touching up some spots. Also going to look into one of those Adventure style tents that are made for these Military trailers.

DSC04827.jpg

Removed a lot of unnecessary items. I think once it's done it will really compliment the little B2. Even though I don't have tags for it yet, I'll try to post a pic if it hooked up to Samson. Love to have it done for the AFN and Extreme 4x4 shows up in Carlisle this year, but not enough time.

SAM_0290_zps213eec55.jpg

Need to fix this part of the trailer. It's the front bed rail that's bent back into the bed area about 1-1/2", plus the lip is all bent up.

SAM_0292_zpsfa8c99a4.jpg

So what I did was to back the trailer up against an Oak tree and placed the end of the jack on the tree trunk. Then placed an old landscaping post from the jack to the edge of the bed rail. BTW I've used this High Jack for more things then changing tires.

SAM_0291_zps242bdad9.jpg

Next was to grab on of the local Middle school boys who constantly come over to get air for the bike tires to help watch as I jacked the handle so I don't push it out too far.

SAM_0296_zpsc131f73f.jpg

Now it's straight as an arrow. What lip that was not straightened when it was pushed out was fixed by pulling out with a Cresent wrench, then used a dolly and hammer.

http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/r...venture trailer/GOPR0011_zpsd105edf4.mp4.html
Really good news is that I've got the lights all working.
Dang that engine still sounds good after all these years.
Click on above link for an exclusive sneak preview and crank it up ha ha.
First lights are brake.

That trailer would look great being towed behind my 49 Power Wagon.
Were definitely both in the same ball game on this build. Looks like that's a great place to mount the Hi jack. In fact I was looking at them just yesterday at Tractor Supply.

View attachment 283517

Now to put some aluminum in that hole.

View attachment 283518

The aluminum actually came from stuff I took off trailer. These pieces came off the lid of box that was inside the bed on the front panel. Took some paint remover and cleaned off the old paint. I guess I really did not have to but looks cool. Their laying on the lid that I cut the pieces from. Aluminum from lid is .085".

View attachment 283519

Might say I recycled it back into the trailer.

I have one of these maybe used it for years they are awesome! Fits behind the bronco ii or the FJ perfectly

This thread is from 2013-2019

Back