Military hummer tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Military hummer tires

I just purchased dana 60 dually hubs so i can run hummer military bead lock rims. (I'm purchasing the 8 bolt rims) Now i priced out some super swamper's and it came to a grand with shipping. Now obviously, spending a grand on tires sucks. I ran across a seller on ebay selling new, not retreaded hummer tires. For 360 shipped to my door that sounds like a better deal, and they were made to be on the hummer rims. Ive looked into buying a tire groover to cut out some tread voids in the rubber Is there any problems with running this tire? Any help would mean a lot to me, thanks.

Attachments

• 8f_1.jpg
    8f_1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 7,213

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If that is a true military tire there is prob more weight than you want in them..

Millitary tires are usually very stiff.

tiregroover.jpg

Kinda like a soldering iron with a blade on the end. Allows you to cut chunks out of the tread so you have more places for grip as well as taking away some stiffness so it can conform to rocks.

Im running a hummer beadlock rim. The tire is bias ply. I really dont mind much about it bieng too loud or riding rough, i love the hum :). They wigh about 66 pounds, which isnt heavy at all (well compared to other brands)

Im running a hummer beadlock rim. The tire is bias ply. I really dont mind much about it bieng too loud or riding rough, i love the hum :). They wigh about 66 pounds, which isnt heavy at all (well compared to other brands)

the superswampers are 66lbs or the military tires?

The military tires. Oh and they are 36x12.5x16.5.

Those must be older HMMWV tires. The ones we have out here are 37x12.50-16.5 Goodyear Wrangler OZ and they have a different tread pattern to them. They're also radials vice the older bias plys.
T28.gif

We had a hummer H1 in the shop a year ago and the military tires were on it I believe. They seem to do ok and yes, road very rough. If thats what youlike - you got a perfect tire

-Drew

The radials that we use out here have a decent ride. It would be better if the trucks would have the camber fixed and some new ball joints put in them.

Didnt older ford trucks run a 16.5 rim the f250 i think. So you could just get 10x16.5 8 lug wheels couldnt you?

i was in the millitary for 4 years and the tires are the same as the ones we had they do great for all terrain we have crawled rocks drove thru ponds and hit every mud hole we could find never had one problem thets a great deal go with it and they r no heavier than any other tire that size

Those must be older HMMWV tires. The ones we have out here are 37x12.50-16.5 Goodyear Wrangler OZ and they have a different tread pattern to them. They're also radials vice the older bias plys.
T28.gif

yeah they are. I like the more aggressive pattern on the older ones.

Didnt older ford trucks run a 16.5 rim the f250 i think. So you could just get 10x16.5 8 lug wheels couldnt you?

That is correct. But the reason i wouldnt run those rims non-beadlocked is becuase they dont have a safety bead on them. The only reason im running 16.5's are to utilize the cheap beadlock wheels from the hummers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not so sure how well those tires are going to do offroad. They have a hard tread compound and I've seen plenty of stuck HMMWVs. You'd definitely want to cut them up pretty good to get those most of them like others have recommended. But for 360 bucks even if they don't really work the way you want you're not out a whole lot of money. To give you some sort of idea how these tires are, almost all the SF guys I saw in Afghanistan where running Swampers on thier HMMWVs.

Back