• Register Today It's free!

"Mini" Shocks

ckomai

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
what are the "mini" shocks that are above the real shocks and about level with the engine. They look like hood shocks. What do they do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"mini" shocks?

ok so it looks like its only on the drivers side. its about a 6 inch shock mounted on the outside side of the frame and it looks like it props up a 6 inch wide piece of metal that slides under the engine. I took pics but I cant seem to upload them.

I've seen a shock looking thing used as part of a motor mount system on Rangers. It was on the drivers side and connected from the frame up to the motor (assembly).

I've never seen it on an explorer but since you have a '91 its possible its one of the odd 1st year things you sometimes see.

Since your not an elite member you can't post the picture "directly" to EF. You need to put it onto flickr or photobucket and then post the url for the pic (direct link to the picuture) within image tags..

Like this.. [ img]http://tld.x../moreURLname/filename.jpg[ /img]
I added an extra space after the [ so it would show.

~Mark

If you've seen it then its gotta be that. Im guessing everything on the 91 was basically a ranger except for the cab.

Spas had one on her 91 back in the day. 91 only if I remember.

I've seen a shock looking thing used as part of a motor mount system on Rangers. It was on the drivers side

^this^

The 91 Ex I stripped had the same setup (as did my '90 Ranger 4.0l).

It runs from a bracket on the frame up to a (stupid looking) bracket on the engine that sticks out about 8" off the side of the block.

Its there to help control the twisting of the motor... remember this was the most powerful engine used in this chassis so far.

Back