• Register Today It's free!

Mini Spool for 8.8

OREXPLORER

Reaction score
City, State
Twin lake, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I am thinking of putting a mini-spool in my 8.8 because I can't afford running a locker due to tight finances. I was wondering the pros and cons of this set up. I am currently running 33" Mickey Thompsons and plan to switch to 4.56 gears when I put in the spool. I was also told I would have to get a c clip eliminator kit which runs about 200$! Is this true?? (in which case I might as well just get a locker). thanks for the input

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ya that about sum's it up

spool or mini spool = c-clip elim's

locker = cost of c-clip and spool/mini spool

not sure if they make a detroit tru-trac for the 8.8" with c-clip's but that would be my suggestion

lock-rites are cheep tho.........

Jegs has a mini spool for the 8.8 that doesnt need the c-clip elimination.

My Alburn didn't need the elimator. Just grind the clip flat to fit in the slots.

you do not need to wait to change gears for a mini spool.

Pro.. traction!

Cons.. tire scrubbing on tight (3 point tight) turns.

If the budget is tight and your ready to run a spool...why not weld it? All it costs is the price of the rods :D

JTX said:
Jegs has a mini spool for the 8.8 that doesnt need the c-clip elimination.

cool... last time i asked about a spool or mini spool for the X i wuz told i needed the elim's

next problem will be keepin the carrier from bustin in half....

CodePoet said:
If the budget is tight and your ready to run a spool...why not weld it? All it costs is the price of the rods :D

a good idea but i have tried this with 2 8.8" carriers and they both broke shortly after leaving the parking lot... one was welded by a 8yr journeyman welder the other by a backyard mechanic who has welded up alot of 9"s for hotrodders and wheelers.... maybe i just have bad luck?

A full spool will need the c clip eliminator. The mini spools fit inside the carrier just like a lunchbox locker and the c clips are still used.

mini spools are like $150

aussie lockers are $229

TrueTrac (new) is $400

I'm running welded with 4.56's. No complaints. :D

Back