• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Minor Oil Leak

collegeexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA (Work) Flint, MI (School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XL 4x4
I wanted to get some opinions on this. I have the 4.0 OHV engine, and I have noticed that I have a small oil leak. It's nothing big, so I'm thinking that I will wait until it becomes more of an issue before I do anything about it. It will leave a couple drops of oil underneath it when I leave it parked overnight. So far, it hasn't even been large enough to need to add oil between oil changes. I got under it the other day and it looks like the oil is comming from around the timing chain cover. Is it dangerous or terribly bad for the engine to let it leak until it becomes a larger leak? Also, would adding a leak-stop to the oil be worth it? I have heard that they don't usually stop any leaks and can make them worse sometimes. Thanks for any opinions.

ma96782

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT, 4dr
IMHO.....NO, LEAK STOP ADDITIVE.

Wipe the area clean (where you suspect the leak) watch it for awhile........you decide.......IF it's worth the trouble. Changing the rear oil seal on a crank shaft is a big job and changing the timing chain cover seal is also a big job......though, now it becomes a matter of degree of difficulty.

Can't remember, but IF it ain't dripping on a hot spot (potential fire) and/or IF it's not soooooo much of a loss, that would be noticiable before the next schedule oil change. I mean........the factory says that, alittle oil loss between oil changes is acceptable.........so, how much is acceptable.......(a quart between a scheduled oil change?).........your call.

Aloha, Mark