Mirror Swap Question: 06-10 Explorer Mirrors to 2nd Gen Explorer/Ranger/ 1st Gen Sport Trac?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mirror Swap Question: 06-10 Explorer Mirrors to 2nd Gen Explorer/Ranger/ 1st Gen Sport Trac??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjtheman007

Reaction score
City, State
Kankakee, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Hey guys!

Any idea if 06+ Explorer/Mountaineer mirrors will swap to a 99-01 Explorer (or a 01-05 Sport Trac or 95-05 Ranger)? I know the 06+ Ranger mirrors should work, but I am wanting a puddle lamp and defrost built into the mirror and some of the 06+explorer mirrors have that.
I understand I'll have to shave off the nubs where the 3 screw-in bolts are on the mirror itself (See thread link below), but will everything else work? Contour? Mounting holes? (I know wiring I'll have to re-do, that's no big deal)

Ranger 06+ install thread: http://www.ranger-forums.com/interior-exterior-electrical-123/how-install-06-mirrors-107484/)

Thanks for any assistance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I took the plunge and ordered just the drivers door mirror on ebay.
OEM Ford Explorer Limited mirror 06+ with heat, power, and puddle light.
Ill try it out and see how it goes.
Thanks.

How did it come out dude?! Are they workable for exploder applications?

Haven't gotten to try them yet. Have some house projects that took precedence. (Need to knock those out before it gets too cold)
Life is always getting in the way, lol.

Should have some time in the next month or so to try them out. I'll keep you all posted!!

Have you had a chance to try out the fitment? I almost bought a set off an 06 a week ago haha

Ok, I had a chance the other week. They do not fit. :( They could probably be made to work with a bit of work, but not a bolt on swap.

The forward most bolt and the top bolt line up, but the bolt closest to the door glass is about 1/2"-3/4" closer to the door glass than the sport trac mirror and as such doesn't line up with the hole in the door.
The other issue is the curvature of the plastic towards the front of the vehicle. It doesn't fill the gap and is a bit short. I suppose you could graft on some plastic material and solve that pretty easy.
(I didn't take pictures as I was in a rush when I tried this.)

If you are wanting the square style mirror, I'm thinking that 08+ ranger mirrors will work. But you forgo the puddle light and the headed glass option you could otherwise get from a 99-01 explorer limited mirror swap onto a sport trac.

I'm closing this duplicate thread. Any further discussion can continue in the identical thread in the Sport Trac section.
Please don't double post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back